Art. 404.2 (c) of 2011 NEC Switches Controlling Lighting Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbelectric777

they usually need a neutral (grounded conductor) and you cant use a ground so just from a controls logic standpoint i'd say yes. also check which code your area is on, most municipalities havent even adopted the 2011 yet

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2011 NEC requires a grounded conductor whether there is an occupancy sensor or not- with a few exceptions. I think you will find that most OS require a neutral.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Unless the occupancy sensor requires a grounded conductor, there is nothing in the current code that would require you to run a grounded conductor to the switch box when changing a standard switch an occupancy sensor. The current UL standard still permits the occupancy sensor to use the EGC as the grounded conductor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I expect the the sensors that don't need a grounded conductor now, will soon no longer be manufactured. Most that don't need a grounded conductor use the EGC as a grounded conductor for the sensor power. The UL standard is being changed to prohibit that.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You still need a neutral at that switch under the 2011.
If it is a new switch, I agree, but this thread is about replacing a snap switch with an occupancy sensor. In my opinion, the code does not require running a grounded conductor to the switch box unless the new occupancy sensor requires a grounded conductor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it is a new switch, I agree, but this thread is about replacing a snap switch with an occupancy sensor. In my opinion, the code does not require running a grounded conductor to the switch box unless the new occupancy sensor requires a grounded conductor.

I would agree with that but if the occupancy sensor requires a neutral you have no choice. I wonder how long the older style will be around?

Status
Not open for further replies.