ATS bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger32

I'm installing a generator/ATS for a wastewater treatment plant and had a couple of questions. The ATS will be mounted next to the 400A main service disconnect on the outside of the building, which all of the GEC's terminate in. The service disconnect feeds the main distribution panel directly behind it inside of the building. How do I bond the generator grounded conductor in the ATS, and could I run the "load" from the ATS back through the main disconnect and to the MDP through the existing conduit? Any thoughts appreciated!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If you are keeping the existing service disconnect then the transfer switch grounding and bonding looks like a sub-panel.

Line and load conductors can snuggle up in the same conduit and keep each other company all the time, except for the service conductors; they are segregated from all the other conductors and remain alone. It's the price they pay for being unfused.

Years ago I worked on a symilar system and I made some notes for myself to make it easier to find the information again when I needed it. Although I am not sure that they apply directly to your system, check the following sections of the NEC:
250.24(A)(3)
250.30(A)(1)(Exception 1)
I remember that the tricky part was to make sure that a SINGLE system bonding jumper connection was permitted and that it had to be made at the tie point, that is, at the point where the grounded circuit conductors from the alternate sources met.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The key, I believe, is if the ATS switches the neutral. If the neutral is not switched, then the generator is not a SDS and neutrals and equipment ground must be kept separate with grounding conductors installed to all.
If the ATS does not switch the neutral, then it (the neutral) remains isolated except at your service disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.