210.52 (A) (2) Wall space Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

210.52 (A) (2) Wall space Question
The 2011 code includes the word fixed cabinets in its definition. Does this mean a floor or toe kick receptacles is no longer required in front of a fixed cabinet that is 13? long. Is a fixed cabinet a break in wall space and not wall space.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That is how I read it. A fixed cabinet is not "wall space," and therefore does not require receptacles. I suppose the next debate is whether a fixed bookcase falls into the category of "fixed cabinet," and therefore also does not require receptacles.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I will disagree with Charlie's interpretation. I see a cabinet as wall space and so do all the inspectors in our area. We have argued this until we are blue in the face so I would advise getting a local interpretation. What we say does not mean much if the inspector has his own interpretation.

I see the counter as no different than a free standing bar type counter or railing that is called out in 210.52(A)(2)(3)

wyboy

2011 code

2011 code

The cabinet change is in the 2011 code and has not been adopted by many jurisdictions yet.

raider1

Staff member
I will disagree with Charlie's interpretation. I see a cabinet as wall space and so do all the inspectors in our area. We have argued this until we are blue in the face so I would advise getting a local interpretation. What we say does not mean much if the inspector has his own interpretation.

I see the counter as no different than a free standing bar type counter or railing that is called out in 210.52(A)(2)(3)

Dennis, have you read the 2011 wording of 210.52(A)(2)(1)?

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, have you read the 2011 wording of 210.52(A)(2)(1)?

Chris

Yes I have, I read it as any space 2' or more.... The cabinet is a space-- If a cabinet was perpendicular to the wall then 2' of wall space and another cabinet perpendicular then I see the spaces between the cabinets as wall space and the perpendicular part of a cabinet I see as wall space. I agree the width of the cabinet is not wall space. Book cases would not be wall space but if they turn and divide the space it appears they would be.

How do you explain 210.52(A)(2)(3)...?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Yes I have, I read it as any space 2' or more.... The cabinet is a space. . . .
The cabinet occupies space, but it does not count as "wall space," in the context of that article. It says, "unbroken along the floor line by . . . fixed cabinets." If a fixed cabinet counted as wall space, then it would not "break" the wall space into two separate areas. Rather, the fixed cabinet plus the two areas to the left and right would comprise one single, long, wall space.

To be clear, I am saying that if you had a 12 foot wide wall with a 7 foot wide fixed cabinet directly in the middle, then the spaces left and right of the cabinet would count as "wall space," and would need receptacles, but the 7 feet occupied by the fixed cabinet would not count as "wall space," and would not need receptacles.
How do you explain 210.52(A)(2)(3)...?
By observing that a fixed cabinet is not at all similar to a bar-type counter or railing, and is therefore not a room divider. I have always had problems with that particular paragraph. I will continue to work towards getting the CMP to take away the word, "afforded." It flat out does not mean anything.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So If I have a peninsula from a kitchen that backs up to a living room then you are saying that peninsula is not wall space. Now I install a 3 foot high wall as the back side of the peninsula-- Is it wall space?

jwelectric

As Dennis is pointing out t the back side of a cabinet that separates the kitchen from the dining room is a room divider and would require a receptacle on the dining room side. 210.52(A)(2)(2)

The 2011cycle states that if the cabinet was facing the dining room then it would not require a dining room receptacle. 210.52(A)(2)(1) but would for the kitchen side 210.52(A)(2)(2)

As is being discussed in another thread a wet bar would fit the definition of 210.52(A)(2)(1) and the only receptacle required would be one within six feet of either end of the wet bar. Nothing requires one over the wet bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.