article 517

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

Does an optometrist office that performs eye exams but not medical procedures fall under article 517 for patient areas?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Probably, but it may be a call for your AHJ. Per the definition of "Health Care Facility" in NFPA 70, 99, and 101 I would say yes.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is a general subject in which there has been much debate. The whole idea of "does a XXX building fall under 517" is no easy question. IMHO, an optometrist office does not meet the definition, under 517.2, of a "health care facility."

My difficulty with this overall issue is that, once you first step into 517, I don't see any option other than to go all the way into and through 517. I don't think we get to say that this requirement of 517 will apply, and that other one will not, based on what types of activities go on within the facility. For example, I don't think I have had my eyes tested for prescription glasses in a building that had a backup generator and separate ATSs for life safety, critical, and equipment branches. If an optometrist office did not require those items, how are you going to apply any other rule within 517, such as the grounding requirements in 517.13?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
This is a general subject in which there has been much debate. The whole idea of "does a XXX building fall under 517" is no easy question. IMHO, an optometrist office does not meet the definition, under 517.2, of a "health care facility."

My difficulty with this overall issue is that, once you first step into 517, I don't see any option other than to go all the way into and through 517. I don't think we get to say that this requirement of 517 will apply, and that other one will not, based on what types of activities go on within the facility. For example, I don't think I have had my eyes tested for prescription glasses in a building that had a backup generator and separate ATSs for life safety, critical, and equipment branches. If an optometrist office did not require those items, how are you going to apply any other rule within 517, such as the grounding requirements in 517.13?

Charlie:

The emergency system for "other" health care facilities can be as simple as unit lighting equipment per Article 700.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.