bonding/grounding a service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky11

recently did a 200 amp sevice upgrade. put two ground rods with #4 continously back to the panel and left the old #6 going to the water meter bond witch is across the house and was used as the old 100 amp service gec. and i already know you can run#6 to the rods and #4 to the meter and your allset.....but if i site article 250.122 as making this run to the meter a bond am i allset.........(he has already failed me)

hurk27

recently did a 200 amp service upgrade. put two ground rods with #4 continuously back to the panel and left the old #6 going to the water meter bond witch is across the house and was used as the old 100 amp service gec. and i already know you can run#6 to the rods and #4 to the meter and your allset.....but if i site article 250.122 as making this run to the meter a bond am i allset.........(he has already failed me)

250.66 will require a #4 to the water pipe, as it is not one of the allowances in 250.66(A)-(C).

Also since the connection serves more then one purpose 250.104(A)(1) will also require that the conductor to the water pipe will also require to be sized to 250.66 (#4) to meet the requirement of a bond.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Wayne said whether it's a GEC to the water pipe electrode or simply a bond it has to be sized according to 250.66. One caveat of it being a bond is that it is not required to be connected within 5' of the entrance of the water pipe into the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.