Tennessee Elec. Contractor study materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

97catintenn

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some study material for the electrical contractor test in the state of Tennessee. It's based on the 2005 NEC and I have Mike Holt's book for the exam prep based on 05. I like it, just feel like I should get another to book to study from too.

What did my fellow brothers study for the test?

C3PO

You should be fine. The electrical contractors exam is not too bad. The main thing is to be comfortable with your code book and know where to look for things.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hello everyone! I'm looking for some study material for the electrical contractor test in the state of Tennessee. It's based on the 2005 NEC and I have Mike Holt's book for the exam prep based on 05. I like it, just feel like I should get another to book to study from too.

What did my fellow brothers study for the test?

As C3PO stated, get familiar with the 2005 code book. The Mike Holt exam book will help with that if you do all the questions at the end of each chapter. Also, look at PSI's reference list on their website from the downloadable bulletin. You can look up the safety in the workplace and the other Govt. material listed online without purchasing the books. Google what is listed and you can find it. Study hard and you will be fine.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thanks. So when it comes to practice questions, mike bolts book is the one work on? Or is there a seperats practice exam that you guys used?

Mike Holt's "Electrical NEC Exam Preparation" is the one I used and it will take you all the way through the code book (2005). I never tried anything else, so I can't speak to that, other than some stupid questions that others have posted from their particular study books. Most of the questions on the test seemed "old hat" after studying Mike's book for over a year. There are some errors in the question and answer sheet, but their is a correction sheet listed on his website. You can also email them and they will help you if you have a problem. As I posted earlier, their are some OSHA type questions on the test that you will have to know so look at PSI's reference list for that.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have looked on PSI but cannot find their reference list to look at the OSHA questions on NEC exam. Any help thanks.

Look here for electric contractor info. on the PSI's download bulletin. It lists the federal regulations. You can look that up on-line for free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.