Equipotential Bonding, perimeter surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

680.26(B)(2) defines the perimeter surface to include "unpaved surfaces as well as poured concrete and other types of paving." Isn't this the same as saying "everywhere"??
Dirt = unpaved : bonding required
Gravel = unpaved : bonding required
Paving stones = other type of paving : bonding required
Composite pad = other type of paving? : bonding required?
Wood decking = unpaved : bonding required
Trex decking = unpaved : bonding required

Am I reading this right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO you're correct. This is one of those sections that seemingly gets rewritten every code cycle and still is written poorly. I've been told that even a hot tub on a deck 8' off of the ground would require the equipotential bonding in the ground below.

dannyt

perimeter surface.

perimeter surface.

Just did a above ground pool in MI. Failed insp. Does the 3' perimeter surface need to be outlined with #8 awg cu or do I need to install copper mesh around the contour of the pool and also 3' wide measuring from the pool wall???? I installed #8 cu 18 to 24" from pool wall and around contour of pool and bonded to pool posts 6 times and all metal parts around pool???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just did a above ground pool in MI. Failed insp. Does the 3' perimeter surface need to be outlined with #8 awg cu or do I need to install copper mesh around the contour of the pool and also 3' wide measuring from the pool wall???? I installed #8 cu 18 to 24" from pool wall and around contour of pool and bonded to pool posts 6 times and all metal parts around pool???

What code cycle?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the perimeter surface has structural steel then the steel must be tied together. If steel has a non conductive encapsulation around the structural steel, then a copper wire is need to follow the contour of the pool as you described. I don't see where a grid is necessary at all in the perimeter surface.

dannyt

Yes I agree. there is no structural steel. First he wanted me to install #10 rebar to identify the 3' perimeter and then tie it to the # 8 cu. Now he is saying that I can use copper instead of rebar and I must zig zag back and forth????

Hendrix

Yes I agree. there is no structural steel. First he wanted me to install #10 rebar to identify the 3' perimeter and then tie it to the # 8 cu. Now he is saying that I can use copper instead of rebar and I must zig zag back and forth????

Zig Zag is not necessary:confused:

Outdoor Hot Tub GFI wiring and bonding

Outdoor Hot Tub GFI wiring and bonding

Question #1 Single family hot tub permiter bond wire, dos it have to back to the main panel or the outdoor pullout disconect?

Question # 2 In the service area inside the hot tub, there is a breaker enclosure with a GFI breaaker in it, then it gos to the factory supplied IC circuit board, as the tub was bought used, should I refeed the enclosure w/ the GFI breaker or remove it and GFI it at the main panel?

thanks guys

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
sorry that would 2008

Is this a residence?

If so, you are under the 2009 Michigan Building Code, not the 2008 NEC.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...6Cyonx&sig=AHIEtbSKJrhvHHcnHdufiMcpCv6pN7srBA

Which refers to the 2008 Michigan Electrical Code

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...yK-ALC&sig=AHIEtbRDK5cupPuq3P5HLtCmjxSScP_uNg

Then, the above refers to the 2008 NEC.

The state is making everyone follow the above chain of sequences and no longer allows for local rules. Not everyone is taking this to heart so in many cases the wrong set of rules are being enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.