OR battery backed up Lights a Code Requirement or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEP_PM

Battery backed up lights are normally installed in OR?s in my area but I could not find a code reference requiring them today in 517 or NFPA 99. Did I overlook something? Is that a local requirement? I?m in NC.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As chris pointed out.

517.63 Grounded Power Systems in Anesthetizing Locations.
(A) Battery-Powered Emergency Lighting Units.
One or more battery-powered emergency lighting units shall be provided in accordance with 700.12(F).

These Battery-Powered lights are required in addition to any other Critical Branch lighting in OR's.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Try NFPA 101 7.9

Actually, this is not an NFPA 101 chapter 7 (Means of Egress) issue, these are only to keep the OR illuminated until the generators come on line.

It's not a good idea to have a surgeon fumbling around in the dark even for a few seconds.

Roger

raider1

Staff member
Actually, this is not an NFPA 101 chapter 7 (Means of Egress) issue, these are only to keep the OR illuminated until the generators come on line.

It's not a good idea to have a surgeon fumbling around in the dark even for a few seconds.

Roger

I agree. Article 700 requires the generator to supply power for emergency systems within 10 seconds, and the required battery lights are to provide illumination for procedures until the generator is up and running.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.