Help needed on laser eye enter project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

We have a laser eye center project with 5 exam rooms and one laser surgery center. The client told us that the facility will just be used as a refractive surgery center. It is not a critical care area. So that no emergency power is needed for the facility.

I looked at NFPA 99 and NEC 517 about patient care areas including critical care areas and general care areas. I believe the exam rooms are general care areas and laser surgery center is a critical care area. The client said the laser surgery room is not a critical care area. Ok, let's assume it is a general care area. Now it comes to another gray area. The NEC 517.18 (A)(B) talk about patient bed location needs one branch circuit on emergency power. But it has been argued that the one for patient in exam rooms is not a bed in hospital so that they don't need any emergency power.

Any comments and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I believe it is up to the facility to designate critical care locations. (Assuming they are not overruled by the AHJ or Dept. of public health). Sounds like the procedures are not invasive, so I could understand it being general care.

See the definition of Patient Bed Location in the front of 517. If its not critical care, and its not a inpatient sleeping area, its not a patient bed location, so no emergency receptacles are required.

I believe a light on battery backup might be required per 517.45.

Status
Not open for further replies.