Wireless E-stops for industrial use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelA1965

Has anyone had any luck with, or is it even legal/code compliant, to install wireless transmitters to operate an E-stop? Specifically, I would be tripping the rectifier circuits that supply my DC bus.

I'm working with an industrial (smelter) DC bus system that is 1000 VDC, and 150KA. There is a request by the customer to install wireless E-stops. It is against my better judgement to do something like this, but I must at least explore the options.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, but more importantly, I'd love if someone might have experience, or can point me to documents/code sections that will support or not support this method of de-energizing a bus/power.

Thanks.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I would think they would be legal, as long as it's a supervised signal. You may have some unwanted tripping though if there is interference from another source interupting the supervisory signal. I know they use wireless ones with truck cranes.

pfalcon

SHORT ANSWER: Legal yes; We don't use them though.

LONG ANSWER: Estops are poorly covered under federal and state regulations. NFPA79 is a national consensus standard you can use to answer the OSHA General Duty Clause in case you run into difficulties. I suggest that your company adopt it. In any case, as a device being used for safety, it must be listed for the purpose. That means it will have a version of a heartbeat signal. Loss of signal will trigger the Estop. Generic wireless devices cannot be used.

Now you can play find the remote at work too!

Status
Not open for further replies.