SQ-D replacement parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGE02

I've been asked for a price on replacing the bus bars in an old Square-D "Powerstyle" I-Line switchboard. (277/480V, 400A, 3P). Only the 3 bars that the breakers slide onto need to be replaced.

All of the local breaker houses can't seem to come up with anything for me other than replacing the whole unit which seems excessive.

I have a guy who will build the bus bars but he needs me to actually bring one of them too him so he can replicate it. The problem with that is excessive downtime, as the gear is still in use.

It just seems to me that someone out there would have these replacement parts, perhaps I just haven't looked in the right place yet... any suggestions are much appreciated...

ncwirenut

Unfortunately, if you are concerned about the UL listing remaining on the panel, they should be square d. You can get a third party to list it after repairing it with other parts. Square d will come out and measure them and then come back and replace them for a premium price. I just had a 2500 amp 120/208 bolt lock assembly that I had to get them to replace. They would not sell me the parts. It cost me 26,000.00. It was in a nursing home and the door was not large enough to get the new gear through, so looking at everything involved, the owner decided on square d replacing the switch.

zog

The problem is with bus sections, they are not always exactly the same and can be difficult to match up. Do you have photos and good measurements?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
You are trying to replace the individual bus bars in a I-Line panel assembly. The profile of the bus and the vertical alignment will all affect the performance of the breaker's plug-on jaws.

To my knowledge Square D has never sold 'DIY' replacement bussing for I-Line interiors even though they are essentially unchanged since 1965.

kwired

Electron manager
Replace the entire interior portion of the panelboard with the closest thing currently made that will fit the cabinet it is installed in. (The interior is actually the panelboard the can is actually a cabinet)

This will likely cost less than if they were able to get you exact replacement for what was there anyway.

While you are at it order replacement breakers and any other accessories needed with it. Square D practically gives them away with a panel but buy them separate and you don't get much for same price. You may have to order cabinet and door with it all to get good pricing. That is the way they want to sell these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.