Customer want's to meter second house on property

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

The front house has the meter, the house in the back, he wants it to have its own meter. So I was thinking swap out the main on the front house with a dual meter main. I haven't done a job like this, Is there anything I should know about? Thank you for your help.

ncwirenut

If it is somewhere with a homeowners association or such, they can consider it multifamily and the homeowners association may not allow it. I ran into it some years back and they had to get the association to make special provisions for it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as noted in Post 2.. you can sometimes run into zoning or other local obstacles, but putting that aside, are the two "houses" connected or are they separate structures ? If separate, have you/he discussed POCO adding a drop to the second house ?

bradleyelectric

Instead of going through that you can just put a submeter on the feeded to the tenant house and the landlord can read the usage themselve. Just to give you another option.

zappy

as noted in Post 2.. you can sometimes run into zoning or other local obstacles, but putting that aside, are the two "houses" connected or are they separate structures ? If separate, have you/he discussed POCO adding a drop to the second house ?

It's lateral feeding the main. Then there's a panel on the exterior of the back house that is also feed underground. The houses aren't connected.

zappy

Instead of going through that you can just put a submeter on the feeded to the tenant house and the landlord can read the usage themselve. Just to give you another option.

Yeah, I guess he doesn't want to drive over there every month to read the kwh used.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Yeah, I guess he doesn't want to drive over there every month to read the kwh used.

Then get a meter that supports Internet access. The Shark 100 (ElectroIndustries/GaugeTech) is a hella-wicked meter =and= it can be configured for Internet access.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
May check your local or state laws. Illegal for anyone to charge for power in NE but the POCO.

same in california

also in CA there are rules about having more than one service at a res property usually 1. If the home falls under this it could be called a bonafied inlaw house and get the second meter.
when a change in occupation occures it is supposed to revert back , but I doubt anyone would find out.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
same in california

also in CA there are rules about having more than one service at a res property usually 1. If the home falls under this it could be called a bonafied inlaw house and get the second meter.
when a change in occupation occures it is supposed to revert back , but I doubt anyone would find out.

I agree, here the POCO would require a seperate address for the second meter and the addresses are assigned by our department and we may not let you do that without a legal lot split.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I agree, here the POCO would require a seperate address for the second meter and the addresses are assigned by our department and we may not let you do that without a legal lot split.

The granny flat however is that eception and is not a lot split. My understanding it is a ca law that allows it. It is under the housing rules. I know serveral who have used it. Unlees your county/city has forbidden by local ordinance it is an effective solution as the city usually does not check to make sure the requirements are still met. .....cowboy please don't get any ideas for new rules..

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If zoning, building codes, etc are all satisfied, as noted above you could look at owner installed metering if it's legal (here, under TVA it is not)..
From a NEC standpoint, if POCO has no problem, you can replace the existing single meter with a dual meter socket and come from the second socket to the other dwelling. As long as your meters are on the outside of the 1st dwelling and you service to the 2nd dwelling does not enter the 1st it meets NEC.
If you have access to an '08 Handbook, Exhibit 230.14 shows this.

Status
Not open for further replies.