Energized repair ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

Electrical workers have been asked to work inside the back of a energized switchgear where the outgoing cables are located. The back cover will be removed to gain access. There are energized buss /cables within 18" - 24" of workers who are dress in 8cal suits at best. There are no labels on switchgear to let the workers no what kind of ppe to use. What are your thoughs on this type of work?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not that it will change the fact that it is not allowed but, who is asking for this to be done?

As mentioned in post #2, this is the reason for shutdowns and if they are scheduled for periodic PM this repair might not be neccessary now.

Roger

jimbo123

I was trying to get some of your opinions on this type of work that contractors will do when asked. I learned few things on here about energized work and I have read zog's FAQ here. When I see how many electricians who are not aware of electrical safety and you asked them if they know about 70e they get that deer in head light look and WHAT, we do this all the time and we are carefull around anything hot.

Thanks for you responses.

TVH

Energized repair

Energized repair

Need to do a risk assessment and obtain a work permit to work on energized equipment from the equipment owners. The risk assessment and the permit will need to include the required PPE and other safeguards. Best to work cold.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Need to do a risk assessment and obtain a work permit to work on energized equipment from the equipment owners. The risk assessment and the permit will need to include the required PPE and other safeguards. Best to work cold.
Probably no need to do that as this work is probably not permitted if the equipment is energized no matter what paperwork or PPE you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.