arc flash analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
if anyone can answer those questions, i would be appreciate q1) before arc flash analysis, i do short circuit analysis to calculate fault current for every bus. this fault current is the same current as bolted fault current? q2)what are diffrences between arc current and bolted fault current? q3)what is the gap between conductors? is it effect the arc current? q4) having open cofiguration or box configuration effects arc current? q5)what is the usage of protective device coordination before arc flash analysis? q6)to calculate incident energy, what is the effect of arcing time? this arcing time inside the formula comes from protective device coordination?

it is not a homework,

i calculated faults on buses, but i am not sure this fault values are bolted fault current or not. i just wanna learn fault cuurent is the same as bolted fault current?

zog

if anyone can answer those questions, i would be appreciate

Your questions have very complex answers, to fully answer them would take 122 pages (A.k.a IEEE-1584). If this is not homework what is it? Please don't say you are conducting an arc flash analysis. :(

I will give you some very basic answers to get you on the correct path.

q1) before arc flash analysis, i do short circuit analysis to calculate fault current for every bus. this fault current is the same current as bolted fault current?

available fault current:
The electrical current that can be provided by the serving utility and facility owned electrical generating devices and large electric motors, considering the amount of impedance in the current path.

bolted fault current:
A short circuit or electrical contact between two conductors at different potentials in which the impedance or resistance between the conductors is essentially zero.

q2)what are diffrences between arc current and bolted fault current?
Arcing current includes the impedance of the arc, this is different for different voltages, your highest possible and lowest possible arcing currents must be calculated and the clearing times determined for your Ei calc, at a minimum, usually many different points would be used.

q3)what is the gap between conductors? is it effect the arc current?
Depends on the class and type of equipment, yes it has a major effect on arcing current.

q4) having open cofiguration or box configuration effects arc current?
No, but it has a huge effect on incident energy

q5)what is the usage of protective device coordination before arc flash analysis?
To ensure you have selective coordination in your system.
q6)to calculate incident energy, what is the effect of arcing time?
Perhaps the largest variable, which is why you often see higher incident energies with your lower arcing current calculations (And why reducing available fault current can increase arc flash hazards, perhaps the most misapplied mitigation method out there)

this arcing time inside the formula comes from protective device coordination?
No, it comes from seeing what your clearing time would be for your different arcing currents calculated would be on the OCPD's time current curve. And this is also the fatal (no pun intended) flaw in the arc flash analysis process, you are ASSUMING the OCPD will actual trip where the TCC says it will, a recent study by NETA on over 340,000 protective devices showed23% of the breakers tested failed to operate within the published TCC's. (And over 10.5% failed to operate at all).

i am planing to implement arc flash analysis in matlab with 2 different guy, one is charge of doing short circuit analysis, other guy will make protective device coordination analysis, then i will combine their result and implement arc flash analysis on matlab. i download IEEE standard book and got formulas from it. i got confused, if i know short circuit result from other guy, this short circuit results are the same as bolted phase currents?

other question is formula for arc current contains bolted current as well, they also ask for K (open configuration or box configuration) what does it mean open configuration or box configuration?

what are the necessary information i should get from the guy who did protective device coordination. clearing time or arcing time? because inside the incident energy formula t=arcing time, which comes from protective device coordination? and also inside the formula there is a x(distance component) what is that x?

zog

What exactly are you trying to do? You are scaring me :)

I suggest eaither you get some real arc flash analysis software like SKM or hire an engineering firm to do this for you.

hey zog, two other friends do short circuit study and protective device coordination. we have sample circuit. one friends write codes in matlab to find short circuits on every bus and equipment. other friends did protective device coordination analysis for same circuit(i am not sure how he did that). i am supposed to do arc flash analysis using data from other two guys analysis.

so i am asking you, what is the necessary data i should ask from other two guys to do arc flash analysis. right now, i know all short circuit for every bus and equipment.

all i am gonna do, i will get necessary information from short circuit analysis and protective device coordination analysis, then implement arc flash formula with matlab.

should i ask guys, short circuit current? buses voltages? then what else?

zog

Are you trying to develop arc flash analysis software? Is this a class assignment? Are you planning on doing an actual arc flash analysis for a facility? Just not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

it is not our own software, i am not sure my advisor has a project from someone,it is not arc flash software like easypower or SKM, but it is for education purpose mostly. i dont think it will be any commercial software, it is not professional,it is a short matlab code, noone can trust it. maybe he can develop his network for future, but not very soon.

can you help me for this? i would be appreciate. if i publish paper, i can put your name on it, if you are academic person as well.

zog

I think I will pass, my name only goes on published papers I write.

You have to be careful here, the caluculations are more complex than you are thinking they are, you need to look at all possible senarios including different modes of operation. From the sounds of it your data is not even reliable. Remember that with these calulations someone is going to use them to select the correct PPE so they are not seriously burned or killed, so they better be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.