3 family service

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmoney44

Doing my first 3 family rehab....to try to save Romex...is there anything wrong with installing meterbank then 4 100 amp disconnects then ser to each panel and locating them on each floor instead of all circuits running from 3 floor to basement...etc..so only panel in basement is landlord.... job in Massachusetts...thnx in advance

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
You are best off putting in a 4 gang meterbank with overcurrent devices on the outside of the building, then running SER to each apartment to a panel.

Something like this:

0829081429.jpg

There are breakers behind the covers on each side of the meters.

0807081658a.jpg

That SER to the left is for the apartment above the one shown. Not my best work, due to lack of planning by the builder, but I was paid time and material so, meh.

You could also have the meter bank outside, then the main overcurrent devices just inside the basement as close to the meters as you can.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO it's a much better design to have the panel in each apartment and make your branch circuits much shorter.

pmoney44

bypass switch

bypass switch

Now is there just one bypass switch for landlord or all 4 have them

You are best off putting in a 4 gang meterbank with overcurrent devices on the outside of the building, then running SER to each apartment to a panel.

Something like this:

0829081429.jpg

There are breakers behind the covers on each side of the meters.

0807081658a.jpg

That SER to the left is for the apartment above the one shown. Not my best work, due to lack of planning by the builder, but I was paid time and material so, meh.

You could also have the meter bank outside, then the main overcurrent devices just inside the basement as close to the meters as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.