Support of Conduit Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused. When I'm working with RMC, 344.30 (A), I am led to believe that all conduits entering a conduit body shall be supported on each conduit within 3' from the conduit body. 314.23 seems to imply the raceway can support the enclosure if utilizing RMC, as long as the openings to the conduit body are threaded, and the conduit body is of the same size as the trade size conduit. Please clarify the NEC in regards to conduit body support.

buddhakii

This has always been a confusing section for me as well. The way I translate it though is for instance if you install a T, it can be of any size so long as it does not exceed 100 cu. inches (note the exception). It states that each conduit has to be supported within 3 feet of the T which I think is a little overkill on many applications. I've kind of come to the opinion that if the conduit body is good and solid when all is said and done then it's good to go. We all try the best we can to stay code compliant, but we also have to make money. If you were to install a box for a recept. or switch with only one threaded entry then the size of the hub cannot exceed the size of the conduit and has to be supported within 18 inches.

I agree about installing a sound and secure installation. I also agree with the overkill part of your response. My only option apears to be the overkill.

stew

. If you were to install a box for a recept. or switch with only one threaded entry then the size of the hub cannot exceed the size of the conduit and has to be supported within 18 inches.

where does 18 inches come from? been 3 ft as long as I can remember.and you are also saying i cant use a reducing bushing? where does that come from?

stew

oops sorry missed the word devices.my bad. Also appers that the 2011 has clarified when you can use a raceway to support a conduit bodie in 314.23(2)E exception.

Last edited:
I am still installing 4 supports within a six foot diameter of an "X" fitting. I'm doing it with reluctance but the over kill factor is killing me.

iMuse97

I am still installing 4 supports within a six foot diameter of an "X" fitting. I'm doing it with reluctance but the over kill factor is killing me.
not overkill if these are 3/4 rmc. if it is 2" still might not be overkill. There are many situations in facilities where I work that the weak point would be right at the threads leading into the X. In these situations, if not properly supported, we have an angry customer inside of a couple years.

I am assuming if you are running RMC there is a need for significant strength and protection. Just look at it as extra money.

That being said, I agree that if I can make it solid, wherever I can supply a support even if not within three feet, I'll do it and call it good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.