Phase marking tape on conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

badashuka

Please bare with me, I am trying to find the new code on phase taping ungrounded conductors on branch circuits. I am told that I cannot phase tape anything under #8 conductor but in the 2011 code book all I can find is 210.5 (C) (1,2,3) which does not specify AWG, it just says to mark the conductors. Keep in mind I am dealing with 208/120 circuits mostly along with 277/480

ceb58

Please bare with me, I am trying to find the new code on phase taping ungrounded conductors on branch circuits. I am told that I cannot phase tape anything under #8 conductor but in the 2011 code book all I can find is 210.5 (C) (1,2,3) which does not specify AWG, it just says to mark the conductors. Keep in mind I am dealing with 208/120 circuits mostly along with 277/480

There is a big difference between phase identification and re-identifying a conductor. Look at 250.119 A-C (2008) & 200.6 A-B (2008)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In general there is no code requirement as to how ungrounded conductors are identified, no matter what size the conductors are.

badashuka

Is there anywhere in the code book that states phase taping a ungrounded conductor a different color is allowed or is it just not mentioned. I am aware of the ground needing to have specific markings but my foreman is trying to tell me that I am not allowed to change the color of a branch circuit ungrounded conductor under 6 AWG with phase tape. Its been awhile since I went to school but I am sure that I can but I cant prove it with the code book.

Thanks for all your help

ceb58

Is there anywhere in the code book that states phase taping a ungrounded conductor a different color is allowed or is it just not mentioned. I am aware of the ground needing to have specific markings but my foreman is trying to tell me that I am not allowed to change the color of a branch circuit ungrounded conductor under 6 AWG with phase tape. Its been awhile since I went to school but I am sure that I can but I cant prove it with the code book.

Thanks for all your help

The closest you will get is 310.12 (C). Tell your Foreman to read 310.12,200.6 and 250.119. Then ask him what doesn't he understand. You are not re-identifying. You are just phase marking the wire.:slaphead:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does this installation involve more than one voltage system? If so, you have to comply with 210.5(C). If the method of identification listed on the required documentation says that conductors #6 and smaller will be identified by the insulation color, then you would not be permitted to use tape to re-identify those conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
Does this installation involve more than one voltage system? If so, you have to comply with 210.5(C). If the method of identification listed on the required documentation says that conductors #6 and smaller will be identified by the insulation color, then you would not be permitted to use tape to re-identify those conductors.

I had to re-read what you said a couple times cause I thought you were leading us the wrong way.

You are not permitted to reidentify those conductors if the documentation says the insulation color is the method used for identification.

You said it but I did not interpret it correctly the first time or two reading it, just wanted to hopefully clarify it for anyone else that didn't get it either.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Its not a new code for reidentifying say a black 4 AWG with white tape, or with green. If its 6 and smaller going in the pipe it has to be white or green.
The 2005, 2008 NEC mad substantial changes to the required means of identification for locations with more than one nominal voltage system, EG 120/208 and 277/480.

Status
Not open for further replies.