the centennial bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
FoxNews said:
A light bulb hanging in the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department has been burning steadily for exactly 110 years, according the Centennial Bulb website. Since the "Centennial Bulb" was first turned on, the stock market crashed and was reborn, the nuclear age began, two World Wars were fought, cars and planes were developed … and through it all the bulb kept burning.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011...-still-burning-after-110-years/#ixzz1Pe9S0oam

interesting story about a light bulb. . . . .

in accordance w/ forum rules, would anyone like to speculate on how it has lasted this long?

Link To Story . . .

Official Bulb Website. . .

TNBaer

it's really, really orange. I'm guessing good engineering and low voltage. They said in the article that it doesn't burn brightly which seems to suggest a possible voltage issue. and if the bulb was designed at a higher voltage then the one it's on, all the more likely.

gar

Occupation
EE
110618-1613 EDT

My guess ---
Chance (probability of failure)
Low color temperature
Low supply voltage
Ultra high vacuum or particular gas content (I don't know which would be advantageous)
What type of filament? Note tungsten tends to evaporate at high temperature. The reason for halogen lamps.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I first heard thus story ten years or so ago. The one thing I remember most is that each incoming crew is terrified that they might do something wrong or unlucky (i.e., nobody, but nobody ever turns it off, for fear it will fail when it is next turned on). Nobody wants that failure to happen on their watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.