Another unecessacary death

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Talking to one of our project managers this morning, he mentioned a job we were slated to do, but did not have the manpower in that area to do the job, so we passed on it. The contractor that did the job had an employee electrocuted because the customer insisted that the lighting remain on in part of this store, and instructed the general contractor to have the electricians work it hot. About five minutes later after the circuit was re-energized, an electrician lost his life.:happysad:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
First off, my condolences to the family and friends

I bet this will lead to a lot more inconveniece to the owner and GC than turning off some lights.

Hopefully there will be some charges pressed against someone.

Roger

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It's that I don't work on stuff live I am a one man shop these days, I suppose I can write one of those to myself.....

Talking to one of our project managers this morning, he mentioned a job we were slated to do, but did not have the manpower in that area to do the job, so we passed on it. The contractor that did the job had an employee electrocuted because the customer insisted that the lighting remain on in part of this store, and instructed the general contractor to have the electricians work it hot. About five minutes later after the circuit was re-energized, an electrician lost his life.:happysad:

Where was this at? city state?? Was this in the paper??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
zog,
Since this work would not be permitted under the OSHA rules, could you even use an EEWP? This was not troubleshooting and does not appear to be a case where turning the power off would be a greater hazard than working the circuit live.

zog

zog,
Since this work would not be permitted under the OSHA rules, could you even use an EEWP? This was not troubleshooting and does not appear to be a case where turning the power off would be a greater hazard than working the circuit live.

Agreed, don't see how working live could be justified here. But when the customer demands it, you pull out your EEWP and ask him to read and sign, they always change thier minds.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yea This was a tragic and unecessary fatality. Too many feel that you must work on stuff live. I don't ... I certainly will not allow someone working for me do so.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Sorry to hear that there is no reason for it at all IMO.

It sounds like the circuit was turned on without any warning to the Electricians that were working on this circuit and happens way to often even today because of customer arrogance and ignorence:( and they should pay all of their wealth for this incident:roll:

I am a one man show these days and am learning that working hot is somthing i need to quit doing..:)

But if i had employees there would be no hot work at all..:thumbsup:

renosteinke

While it may make you feel good to have the occasional attack of the vapors, just what do we really know here?

In another thread someone posted the actual OSHA rule. Situations that allow working hot include "Note 1: Examples of increased or additional hazards include interruption of life support equipment, deactivation of emergency alarm systems, shutdown of hazardous location ventilation equipment, or removal of illumination for an area."

We do not know the circumstances of this incident, or whether it actually happened.

Not that I doubt the sincerity of the OP ... but currently we have another thread where a poster refers to the 'death of someone demonstrating a ladder on QVC.' As another pointed out, the now-famous incident did not result in anything injured but the salesmans' pride.

Let's not confuse law and religion.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It seems pointless to discuss a situation where we know almost nothing about what actually happened in an attempt to fix blame.

It seems more likely the electrician was working on a de-energized circuit that was inadvertently energized than it was that he was working on something live, based on what the OP wrote.

More likely poor LOTO procedures than a problem with him working on a live circuit.

In any case the guy is dead because some safety procedure was not properly implemented and followed. That is not an acceptable end result.

zog

In another thread someone posted the actual OSHA rule. Situations that allow working hot include "Note 1: Examples of increased or additional hazards include interruption of life support equipment, deactivation of emergency alarm systems, shutdown of hazardous location ventilation equipment, or removal of illumination for an area."
That was in the older revisions of 70E but was removed in 2009, and OSHA is removing that exception in thier next revision too. OSHA usually cites companies under the general duty clause for current industry standards, which is 2009 70E.

Not that I doubt the sincerity of the OP ... but currently we have another thread where a poster refers to the 'death of someone demonstrating a ladder on QVC.' As another pointed out, the now-famous incident did not result in anything injured but the salesmans' pride.
I forgot about that video, that was funny stuff.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The electrician knew the circuit was hot, it was over a dressing room area. I cannot get into much more detail, as of present we still do work on other sites for both this general contractor and the customer. It was inconvience, not introducing hazards by removing illumination. More than likely not wearing insulated gloves or any other type of PPE.

Last edited:

TVH

Another unecessary death

Another unecessary death

Energized Electrical Work Permit, required by 70E and OSHA for any energized electrical work (With a few exceptions like voltage testing or troubleshooting)

You never work anything energized?

Why should live voltage testing or troubleshooting escape the EEWP system?

Status
Not open for further replies.