680-26

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatfull

I understand about perimiter bonding and bonding all equipment associated with pools. A number #8 is required in the niche going back to the pool equipment and the lug on the back of the niche is bonded to the pool steel. Can that #8 be used to bond the heater or pool pump? providing you use the lug on the deck box. Presently we are required to bring a additional #8 in the trench back to the pool equipment that the plumbing and electrical conduits are in. It seems that it is redundent to bring an additional #8.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You may use the same #8-- in fact the #8 from the EPB or perimeter bonding must be brought back to the pump. If the pump is double insulated then it needs to be connected to the EGC of the pump.

boatfull

680-26

You may use the same #8-- in fact the #8 from the EPB or perimeter bonding must be brought back to the pump. If the pump is double insulated then it needs to be connected to the EGC of the pump.

So your saying as long as the 4 tails comming off the pool steel is attached to the perimiter bond and the niche is attached to the pool steel then the #8 that is in the conduit with the niche wires back to the pool equipment is sufficient to bond the pump and other equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So your saying as long as the 4 tails comming off the pool steel is attached to the perimiter bond and the niche is attached to the pool steel then the #8 that is in the conduit with the niche wires back to the pool equipment is sufficient to bond the pump and other equipment.

No, sorry I misunderstood and I am still confused. The wet niche light has nothing to do with the perimeter bonding and the bond wire for the light only goes to the deck box- no further.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No, sorry I misunderstood and I am still confused. The wet niche light has nothing to do with the perimeter bonding and the bond wire for the light only goes to the deck box- no further.

If I might add, the above is for the #8 grounding conductor INSIDE the light.
The #8 bond to the external lug on the wet niche fixture does connect to the equipotential bond.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If I might add, the above is for the #8 grounding conductor INSIDE the light.
The #8 bond to the external lug on the wet niche fixture does connect to the equipotential bond.
Yes, it does but not on the side where the JB (deck box) of for the light. It sounded like he was wanting to run the #8 from the JB back to the pump. Maybe I read it incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.