Parallel Run Labor Reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I heard that there is a labor savings for parallel runs of conduit. What makes there a labor savings for say a bank of 5, 6, 7 or 8 runs?

SBuck

If you run it on strut, you are installing less strut, if you are on a lift you can take pipe with you, the labor savings is because you are already there. To go back again would cost more.

But I imagine you meant how do you adjust your labor hours?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you run it on strut, you are installing less strut, if you are on a lift you can take pipe with you, the labor savings is because you are already there. To go back again would cost more.

But I imagine you meant how do you adjust your labor hours?

No, was just curious on why the labor is less. That is because all your material is there. And I wondering how they go about adjusting the unit.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Sorry...

A NECA labor unit consists of the following

1. Actual install time
2. Material handling
3. Drawing study and layout
4. Non productive labor

So I guess some of these can be reduces when dealing groups of conduits ran together

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There can be big savings from using the first pipe as a prototype of sort as well because a lot of the work can be done in the shop instead of the field. having seen this done a few times, and seen how fast it can go up, I am amazed more ECs do not approach the problem this way.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
There can be big savings from using the first pipe as a prototype of sort as well because a lot of the work can be done in the shop instead of the field. having seen this done a few times, and seen how fast it can go up, I am amazed more ECs do not approach the problem this way.

I don't understand what you mean..:(

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

What I saw a couple times was the EC had a number of parallel runs of conduit. He ran one set and kept track of what he did and had the various bends and pieces prefabbed back at his shop for the other runs. The parallel conduit runs went up very fast because there was no cutting, bending, or threading required on site. It was pretty impressive to watch how fast it went.

I am sure there were a few tweaks that had to be made, but overall it was very impressive. Better yet, they did not get in the way of the other contractors as much as they would if all the work had been done on site.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

let's say you have a rack of twelve 4" conduits. a lot of the bends can be
ordered bent in the shop and sent out.. if it's emt, you bend a couple
inches long, and cut to fit.

some people think it's faster, but a one shot bender can bend a 4" emt
90 in under two minutes... but you don't have bender set up and teardown,
and you have cheaper shop labor doing the work.

if you've just got a couple of pieces to bend, that makes sense. if you've
got a ton of bending to do, it's a waste of time.

i had an old post here about bending stuff up on the ground and then
putting it up all at once.. i went looking for it, but alas, i talk to much, and
it was losted....

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
let's say you have a rack of twelve 4" conduits. a lot of the bends can be
ordered bent in the shop and sent out.. if it's emt, you bend a couple
inches long, and cut to fit.

some people think it's faster, but a one shot bender can bend a 4" emt
90 in under two minutes... but you don't have bender set up and teardown,
and you have cheaper shop labor doing the work.

if you've just got a couple of pieces to bend, that makes sense. if you've
got a ton of bending to do, it's a waste of time.

i had an old post here about bending stuff up on the ground and then
putting it up all at once.. i went looking for it, but alas, i talk to much, and
it was losted....

How about RGS

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If I am doing parallel runs of rigid, I will labor the second run at about 75% of the first and runs three and up at 50% of the first. This assumes that you have some one who knows how to run conduit and will make all of the cuts and bends for each section of the parallel run at the same time. There are lots of installers that will cut and bend them one at a time and then you don't gain much in labor other than the supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.