Lift Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am powering a lift station controller that has two 80amp breakers ( one for each pump) and a 10 amp breaker (for the controller) inside the controller enclosure. The electrical panel that will feed the controller is inside the building and is about 150 feet away. Will I be required to provide a disconnect switch before the the controller (right beside it)?

kwired

Electron manager
Are the breakers able to be operated without being exposed to live parts?

Is the control panel a listed unit?

I don't have a definite answer yet but these things could make some difference.

kwired

Electron manager
I am not finding anything that says you can as well as anything that says you can't use the mentioned breakers as the disconnecting means. I have seen this type of install many times. Never gave it much thought as to whether is code compliant or not.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am powering a lift station controller that has two 80amp breakers ( one for each pump) and a 10 amp breaker (for the controller) inside the controller enclosure. The electrical panel that will feed the controller is inside the building and is about 150 feet away. Will I be required to provide a disconnect switch before the the controller (right beside it)?
The disconnecting means for the control panel is not required to be within any specified distance, in general. I can think of one condition that may change that, such as being powered by a feeder tap, which requires the tap to terminate to only one ocpd and if inside within a specified distance from the tap location.

kwired

Electron manager
The disconnecting means for the control panel is not required to be within any specified distance, in general. I can think of one condition that may change that, such as being powered by a feeder tap, which requires the tap to terminate to only one ocpd and if inside within a specified distance from the tap location.

A tap to each breaker would be acceptable, you just can not feed more than one overcurrent device per tap.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
A tap to each breaker would be acceptable, you just can not feed more than one overcurrent device per tap.
Typically such taps would be inside the control panel and meet distance requirements. However, if the control panel is also fed by a feeder tap, a single disconnecting means would be required ahead of the control panel and distance requirements may kick in.

Status
Not open for further replies.