Garage door opener control wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saywatt

Just got a call from a customer who wants to add a security light over her garage door that turns on when she opens the garage door with her remote.

I said sure no problem. I'll just tap off the control voltage that closes the contact for the opener's 60w bulb to a separate relay with a 12v coil that will control the security light.

After I got off the phone with her I started to question if it would be that simple.

Has anybody done this before, and is it that simple?

Never really messed with a garage door opener before.

kwired

Electron manager
The control circuit for the lamp on the door opener can be hard to access if it is all on a printed circuit board. Why not just use a 120 volt relay powered from the lampholder somehow? If it is a new door opener you have not made any modifications this way and will not void warranty.

For those that call this method hack work you can put a current sensing relay ahead of the receptacle and use this as a trigger set it to start a cycle whenever current level of door operator rises as a result of run time and put in your own timer or other logic devices to control the light, you will spend a lot more $$ doing it this way, maybe more than the door operator cost, just for your control devices.

Saywatt

I was afraid that the control would run through a circuit board.

Getting the control voltage off the light socket sounds like the way to go, if I can figure out a way to do it legal.

Thanks Kwired.

justdavemamm

Last edited:

Benton

Use this to replace the lamp in the opener: View attachment 5545 and then plug into it going to a 4 sq box which has a lamp outlet attached to it and use a Cyrdom # HA4812 (or HA4825 which is sometimes more common) 120vac in/out SSR (Solid State Relay) to control the remote lamp. Of course a mechanical relay could also be used.

That's a Leviton C22-00125-000 Adapter Socket to Outlet.

I like this idea. I would try to figure someway to come off that control relay. It may be as easy as you're thinking it is.

justdavemamm

Not that it would not work but I think that could be an Article 400 violation.

Hmm, I was counting on it being permitted by 400.7(A)(2): "Wiring of luminaires."

And that the cable would be run exposed and then terminated in the 4sq box where there would be a lamp socket attached

Since the normally used NM connectors to the box are not cable rated, then a cord grip identified for the cable would be needed.

Another thought: Someone know of a plug that can take Type AC (BX) cable? Would that be OK since I didn't think that's classified as a Flexible Cord / Cable ?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
some of the newer door openers have aux contacts built in for this , if not you can use a sensor that trips when the door moves up the rail . I think I saw them at smarthome.com

RICK NAPIER

Just a thought but if you mounted a motion detector inside over the garage door aimed onto the raising door feeding a light over the garage door it should work without voidng the warranty on the garage door opener.

cadpoint

Would that be a 130V bulb and a pair of wires out. The Power can be cycled with or with out.

Is the garage detached and is it possible run a switched leg?...

Frankly I'd run them a Broad Cast Circuit, they want lights! Burn some!

Occupation
Inspector
Many years ago, at my home, I had a 4 car two door detached garage that faced away from the house. I needed to know when either or both doors were open. I installed a contactor and wired it to magnetic contacts I installed on the Garage doors. When the doors opened I could see the light I put at the window in the Garage. Very simple to do.

kwired

Electron manager
some of the newer door openers have aux contacts built in for this , if not you can use a sensor that trips when the door moves up the rail . I think I saw them at smarthome.com

Did not check to see what they have at smarthome but you could also use a limit switch that is actuated when the door moves to drive your own controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.