Dedicated Electrical Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

If you run into an existing condition where it will be a major expense to relocate a water pipe within the dedicated electrical space of a new panel board, does the code permit you to put a drip shield between the panel and the pipe and to drive on. Or, strictly speaking is that a code violation?

skeshesh

I've been called out for that by inspection where a panel was shown on the drawing right underneath a drip-pan for some mechanical piping. That was a project for an old (soon to be not classified as such) research hospital building on a school campus that does not serve a hospital function any longer but is still under OSHPD inspection here in Cali. OSHPD tends to be more detail oriented and stringent so you may not get called out. I believe I remember having such an installation pass (for what that's worth) in some other circumstances but my opinion is that it is still a violation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The drip shield is permitted by the code only when it is 6' or more above the top of the panel. 110.26(F)(1)

skeshesh

The drip shield is permitted by the code only when it is 6' or more above the top of the panel. 110.26(F)(1)

There it is, I didn't have the code book handy, but I'm willing to be Don has most of this stuff memorized by now :roll:

The mechanical engineers I work with are great guys and as interested in learning about the electrical aspect to avoid such scenarios as I am in learning about mechanical, specially as it affects electrical design, so we've been able to avoid most of these complications with a collaborative effort. With a large enough job though something always seems to slip - I guess it can possibly be avoided using BIM but we're still on our way to transition.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The drip shield is there to protect the panel from water dripping, of course. But it has to be 6 feet above the top of the panel, as Don said. The reason for the 6 feet is to allow room for conduits to be run for future circuits.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What if the water pipe was beneath the panel, would that be a violation? I ask this because I saw this asked elsewhere and there were conflicting answers.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What if the water pipe was beneath the panel, would that be a violation? I ask this because I saw this asked elsewhere and there were conflicting answers.

Still a violation. Just remember that the dedicated space is only as big as the footprint of the equipment. This is from the NECH:

Dedicatedspace.jpg

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Still a violation. Just remember that the dedicated space is only as big as the footprint of the equipment. This is from the NECH:

Dedicatedspace.jpg

Thanks Rob, that's the way I looked at it. I think the argument from others was based on the fact that water pipe in question ran under the panel but didn't protrude out past the panel. ie: wasn't as thick as the panel, the panel's depth was more than the pipe. But this proves that wrong.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks Rob, that's the way I looked at it. I think the argument from others was based on the fact that water pipe in question ran under the panel but didn't protrude out past the panel. ie: wasn't as thick as the panel, the panel's depth was more than the pipe. But this proves that wrong.

Yes, that graphic simplifies it pretty well. The footprint of the equipment to the floor and up to 6' above.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that person was looking at the dedicated work space and not the dedicated equipment space. You have to comply with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.