house panel/meter for elevator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stev

I'm not sure whether this is a NEC question or a POCO question.

An elevator hoistway and elevator is to be installed for one apartment in a five apartment building. This apartment belongs to the owner of the building.

The apartments are all electric and have a sub panel and a 70A breaker/disconnect at the service, as does the "house" panel.

The loads for the apartment in question are such that adding the 65A starting and 11A running elevator may be unwise. However, the house panel is lightly loaded, and could handle it fine, and since the elevator is for the owner of the building, I'm wondering if there is any reason why we couldn't use that. ?

raider1

Staff member
210.25(B) would not allow a elevator to be supplied by a panel for a dwelling unit and would require the elevator to be on a panel that serves the common area.

Chris

stev

210.25(B) would not allow a elevator to be supplied by a panel for a dwelling unit and would require the elevator to be on a panel that serves the common area.

Chris
This is a residential elevator for the owner's (owner of the building) apartment only, no public access.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Well if you have five apartments and a house meter you already have six disconnects (Main breaker?).

I'm assuming that they don't have a main as this would have added to the original cost of the building so that you couldn't add a seventh meter.

Just as I posted my mind flashed on what you said. How is the house meter paid? Does everyone pay a portion? I'm not sure that the other tenents would like to pay for the owners elevator.

Last edited:

stev

Well if you have five apartments and a house meter you already have six disconnects (Main breaker?).

I'm assuming that they don't have a main as this would have added to the original cost of the building so that you couldn't add a seventh meter.

Just as I posted my mind flashed on what you said. How is the house meter paid? Does everyone pay a portion? I'm not sure that the other tenents would like to pay for the owners elevator.
Good point. I'm assuming the owner pays for the non-tenant electric, but it's something that I need to verify with the owner.
Actually, I was more concerned with possible NEC issues, or the POCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.