Lightning damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

Had a customer call me today, explaining that his house took a lighting hit last week. So far, he has had to replace his furnace, water heater, dish washer, range, and maybe another appliance ....

He was advised to have the wiring "checked out" ---

So how does one go about checking out the wiring? I can think of checking all the GFCI's smoke detectors, and AFI breakers, etc for proper operation.

But how does one determine whether the guts of the main and branch circuit breakers have internal damage that is not readily apparent? How can one tell if the actual wiring itself isn't smoked inside of a wall somewhere? Would a megger be sufficient for this?

Do you simply recommend that all the breakers and other devices with electronics in them be replaced? Do you think the insurance company would agree to paying for such expenses?

ceb58

Just completed work on a lightning strike. In the estimate I allowed X # of hours for testing and meggering the wiring. The adjuster was happy with the fact I was going to do it and did not have a problem approving the estimate. That was that insurance company. What his insurance company will agree to is another thing

kbsparky

I assume that one would have to disconnect such things like surge protectors, GFCIs, smoke detectors, etc before attempting to megger any circuits. Sounds time consuming, indeed!

stew

It is time consuming but needs to be done in my opinion. Most insurance company are fairly liberal with what they will allow to be done in lightning strike cases. They defer to us Xspurts!

hpe1087

Megger Testing

Megger Testing

Let's continue with the reccommendation of performing a megger test on the wiring of this particular home that experienced a lightning strike.

As one knows, all connected equipment, including GFCI's, will need to be removed (and/or) disconnected so damage will not occur during the megger tests.

The technician begins the meggering process. What values (readings) on the megger are acceptable and what values indicate a problem?

From my experience, megger readings are "relative to the installation" of the system. The megger values need to be compared with other similar sized wires installed in similar lengths. Otherwise, some pretty complicated calculations will need to be performed to obtain accurate values that should be indicated on the megger.

I understand the importance of elliminating problem areas in a wiring system and removing, as much as possible, areas of liability for the insurance provider (and the contractor), but .....how far does one go to remove any doubt regarding wiring damage as the result of a lightning strike.

My experience with lightning strikes has been that most damage occurs to the connected equipment, which typically is more vulnerable to surge damages. The hard wiring is rarely "damaged" within the length of a wire run. Notice that I said "RARELY".

Most damage is done at the connected equipment such as computer, electronics, appliances, etc. I have seen damage at receptacle outlets as well, but "rarely" within the physical wiring of the branch circuit.

I recently heard from a customer that another electrical contractor reccommended a megger test as the result of a lightning strike. I questioned the customer what exactly the contractor will be looking for in his test and they were unsure.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and experiences would be helpful.

kbsparky

Megger Protocol

Megger Protocol

OK, I visited the site, and here is what I found:

The water heater was gas. It has a metal flue pipe that extends through the roof for its exhaust. The lightning hit that flue, and traveled down, where it jumped to the tank. From there, it went down to the gas valve, and jumped to the CSST gas pipe. Since there was a gas boiler next to the water heater, it also jumped to that unit, probably thru its gas pipe from an adjacent gas piping manifold.

FROM the boiler furnace, it got into the building's electrical wiring. It also started a structure fire at the boiler's junction box where it was attached to the wooden studs.

This was all on the 2nd floor of a 2 story house, in a utility room that contains both the water heater and the gas heater/boiler units.

The owners were at home at the time, the wife cooking dinner. The gas range also took a hit, its electronics poofing out with a big bang. Scared the woman out of her wits! Needless to say, she quit cooking dinner, with the stove being inoperative now.

Within a few minutes, the smoke detectors started howling, since the upstairs utility room was on fire, although barely started at this point.

The husband went upstairs to investigate, since the top floor smoke alarm had started bleeping first, and he discovered the utility room full of smoke! He yelled to his wife to call 911 and get out of the house! He took a fire extinguisher and managed to put out the fire -- which was small enough to do so at this time -- before fleeing the house himself.

The fire dept arrived and confirmed the fire was out. They also ensured that the gas service was cut off.

Post-fire investigation revealed that the CSST ended up with pinhole leaks in it, blowing out from the lightning. The gas pipe manifold was not properly bonded, since the house was built several years ago right before the newer bonding requirements were implemented. The gas company refused to restore service until the pipe manifold was bonded back to the service panel.

The dishwasher also lost its mind, the electronics were fried by the surge. How it got involved with this is beyond me, it's not located anywhere near the range.

One of his TV sets blew out, and the cable modem was fried, too. I would expect these to suffer from a lightning hit, but there were 2 other TV sets and converter boxes that appear to be OK.

Nothing else seems to have been affected. All the GFI's are functioning properly, as well as the AFI breakers. The smoke alarms are working fine, as well as the doorbell.

The power company recommended the wiring be tested. This is where the megger comes in. The insurance company says to proceed.

It's my understanding that when testing a circuit with a megger, all utilization equipment must be disconnected, isolated, etc. or else the high voltage spike can cause damage.

When testing a lighting circuit, for example, how do you deal with the insulation detectors in a recessed light? Some of them act as a switch, while others utilize an element of sorts, and have a neutral connection. Would a megger test affect this? Or do you simply keep all the wall switches "off" and leave the bulbs in place?

Comments and observations welcomed.

kwired

Electron manager
When testing a lighting circuit, for example, how do you deal with the insulation detectors in a recessed light? Some of them act as a switch, while others utilize an element of sorts, and have a neutral connection. Would a megger test affect this? Or do you simply keep all the wall switches "off" and leave the bulbs in place?

Comments and observations welcomed.

If there is an element connected line to neutral then the device is a load. If you were testing from line to neutral this load in the circuit will not allow you to have the results you are looking for. If it is simply a bimetal switch it will not be a problem if it is in good condition.

If you are testing across conductors of line to line or line to neutral circuits and have a low resistance (low for a megger) you either have a problem or a load still connected in the circuit.

hpe1087

Lightning Damage - Megger Tests

Lightning Damage - Megger Tests

The "stitch-in-time" article is very helpful with their explanations of the megger testing parameters. Anyone involved with service and/or maintenance should have this information readily available for preventative maintenance and troubleshooting.

Thanks for posting the link! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.