conduit fill 1inch pvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksosu69

I have a detached garage to connect to house one 0utlet circuit 20amp and one lighting circuit 15amp with a 3way on the lights back to house could I run 8 #12 runs of thhn back through a 1 inch pvc to carry my 2 circuits and 3way or would this overload the conduit capacity. I appreciate any advice.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How did you come up with 8 conductors? Do you have a copy of the NEC? Look at table C10 in Chapter 9. Also THHN cannot be used in a wet location.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You cannot run 2 circuits to the detached building unless it is a MWBC. So just run a common neutral and 2 hot conductors, one ground and a 3 wire for the threeway-- 7 wires...

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What would you use for a disconnecting means?

Could he not just run a MWBC without the 3-wire, then use the 3-wire at the building? I suppose he still would need a disconnect such as a 2p snap switch.

Edit: A question came up (similar) to this. Can a GFCI receptacle be used as a disconnect, using the test button, to a detached shed/garage on dwelling unit property?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Edit: A question came up (similar) to this. Can a GFCI receptacle be used as a disconnect, using the test button, to a detached shed/garage on dwelling unit property?

A disconnect switch is required to be indicating. {404.7}

Status
Not open for further replies.