Server Clearance 110.26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

I have a rack of servers that is fed electrically via a 208 volt plug in connection. Would Table 110.26 (A)(1) apply to the server since low voltage work around the server would be done while the server is energized. If not, are there any other codes or standards that would require a 3' clearance.

raider1

Staff member
A strict reading of 110.26(A) would require a data rack to meet the working space requirements of that section.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Also keep in mind that 110.26(A)(1)(b) may apply and a reduced clearance may be granted by special permission.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is all plug & cord connected equipment. It no more "requires" live work than does a toaster. I think the working clearance requirements of 110.26 would not apply, but then I am not the authority having jurisdiction in your area. You should check with that person.

barclayd

110.26 applies to 'electrical' equipment. Servers are 'electronic' equipment.
Plus, like Charlie said - cord & plug.
110.26 does not apply - trust me.
db

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If it is cord and plug connected, it seems like it might be movable to get the required clearance to work on it when such work is required.

A very strict reading of the code might prohibit this, but how is this situation any different than a vacuum cleaner that is plugged into a wall outlet? It might be physically located just about anywhere, including a spot where it might not have the required clearances for working on it live, say for testing it. But if it can be easily moved, how is that an actual problem?

I vote to ask for special permission as specifically authorized by the code for exactly this kind of situation.

As an aside, since the AHJ is almost always authorized to provide special permission, why does the code feel it necessary to specify it in this case?

Note that I have specifically used the term AHJ and not inspector. They are almost never the same entity.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As an aside, since the AHJ is almost always authorized to provide special permission, why does the code feel it necessary to specify it in this case?
Are you sure about that? If an AHJ wanted to give "special permission" to use #14 THHN on a 30 amp lighting circuit, would the NEC grant them the authority to do so?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are you sure about that? If an AHJ wanted to give "special permission" to use #14 THHN on a 30 amp lighting circuit, would the NEC grant them the authority to do so?

Special Permission. The written consent of the authority
having jurisdiction.

I would grant that article 90 is not part of the enforcable code. However, what it says tends to make me think that the AHJ retains the power to make its own rules as it sees fit. And many of them do. Usually they are more restrictive than what the code requires, but sometimes they allow things the code would not, such as not requiring AFCIs. The code itself grants no powers to anyone at all, including the AHJ. That power is granted by whatever government is involved. to determine what powers the AHJ created by government actually has, you would need to review the enabling legislation.

I also point out that the inspector is not the AHJ. S/he is not even a representative or agent of the AHJ in the vast majority of cases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.