why no voltage trouble shooting??

Status
Not open for further replies.
:?my friend 's dining room light not working,I check the over current divice and reset it.
step 1
I check the voltage at the lighting outlet wire -no voltage reading
step 2
I open the dimmer switch, remove both wire from the dimmer and check-no voltage reading
I recheck the voltage meter by touching the recepticle out let it read 119, I know the voltage meter is working.

what is next step ? or what is wrong?n
need help or suggestion next step
thanks

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
next step: call an experienced journeyman :D
seriously, as a "student" you can possibly pick up a lot from someone experienced in troubleshooting these problems.
You need to test to see if you have an open neutral or an open phase conductor. You need to determine if any other devices are not working. You will find this type troubleshooting interesting and also find that experience pays a large part.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Have you checked the bulb to see if it is good? Check it in another fixture or continuity check.

I have received several service calls that all i had to do is change the bulb. But before calling me the client changes, the switch, the breaker and then blame it on the faulty house wiring.

thanks for all suggestion and greatly appriciated

thanks for all suggestion and greatly appriciated

Have you checked the bulb to see if it is good? Check it in another fixture or continuity check.

I have received several service calls that all i had to do is change the bulb. But before calling me the client changes, the switch, the breaker and then blame it on the faulty house wiring.[/Q

thanks I find the problems
if the bulb working or not, I should have voltage reading at the conductor at the lighting outlet or voltage reading at the dimmer switch. talked to my structor: follow the wire, posible sharing with the recep. and had a loose connection. or check the pannel next.

kwired

Electron manager
If you only have two wires at the switch and you have open circuit some point after the point of the switch in the circuit you will not have voltage across the switch. You should have voltage from hot lead to ground though. A burned out lamp is an open circuit if the lamp is the only one in the circuit.

knoppdude

:?my friend 's dining room light not working,I check the over current divice and reset it.
step 1
I check the voltage at the lighting outlet wire -no voltage reading
step 2
I open the dimmer switch, remove both wire from the dimmer and check-no voltage reading
I recheck the voltage meter by touching the recepticle out let it read 119, I know the voltage meter is working.

what is next step ? or what is wrong?n
need help or suggestion next step
thanks

After you re-closed the breaker, did you check for load side voltage? If has voltage, you may have to trace out the circuit. Always check for voltage before grabbing onto wires, even if they are green. Don't assume the wiring is correct.

rt66electric

see if the meter is spinnig, and turn everything else off

see if the meter is spinnig, and turn everything else off

MY amprobe kicked the bucket. I wanted quickly check amperage, As a easy referece look at the meter and see how fast it is spinning.

service calll____ "the A/C guy says no voltage at the unit....

Ok

I put my wiiggy across the 240 A/C contactor--- it reads/feel ODD-- not getting A true reading -------
The contact is pulled in and looks well-used-almost burnrt contacts.
The compressor is ALMOST humming ...

turn unit off.

GOTO Zinsco breakerbox --Note-- 10awg wire on 60amp breaker 240 volts present !!!! How is this NOT melting the wire????

Install 30 amp breaker in place of the 60

240v present at the Unenergized contactor.

turn on unit --Voltage goes away ??? My battery dead on my back-up amprobe unable to check.

ANAYLSIS ???? The compressor has locked rotor and IS drawing enough amperage to bring the voltage down BUT not enough to trip the ZINSCO never-trips. the wire size was too small to draw enough amps from the service to dim the lights.

AS I was explaining the locked-up compressor ( A/C guy turns out to be her cousin-in-law) POOF-THE MAGIC SMOKE-- exits the compressor.

DENNIS

kwired

Electron manager
MY amprobe kicked the bucket. I wanted quickly check amperage, As a easy referece look at the meter and see how fast it is spinning.

service calll____ "the A/C guy says no voltage at the unit....

Ok

I put my wiiggy across the 240 A/C contactor--- it reads/feel ODD-- not getting A true reading -------
The contact is pulled in and looks well-used-almost burnrt contacts.
The compressor is ALMOST humming ...

turn unit off.

GOTO Zinsco breakerbox --Note-- 10awg wire on 60amp breaker 240 volts present !!!! How is this NOT melting the wire????

Install 30 amp breaker in place of the 60

240v present at the Unenergized contactor.

turn on unit --Voltage goes away ??? My battery dead on my back-up amprobe unable to check.

ANAYLSIS ???? The compressor has locked rotor and IS drawing enough amperage to bring the voltage down BUT not enough to trip the ZINSCO never-trips. the wire size was too small to draw enough amps from the service to dim the lights.

AS I was explaining the locked-up compressor ( A/C guy turns out to be her cousin-in-law) POOF-THE MAGIC SMOKE-- exits the compressor.

DENNIS

I am somewhat lost in your description of the service call. Between not working meters and dead batteries in meters sounds like you made some assumptions without confirmation of what is actually going on. 60 amp breaker on a 10 ga wire may be acceptable for a hermatic compressor.

How did you determine how much amperage was being drawn? You said your amprobe wasn't working. You could simply have a bad capacitor. Motor will not run but will not draw nearly as high of current as if locked rotor with a good capacitor in the aux winding.

How do you let the smoke out of a hermatically sealed compressor, and see it? A capacitor is possible, most compressors use oil filled capacitors with an internal cutout that is supposed to prevent them from rupturing. There is usually no start capacitor unless someone has added one as part of a hard start kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.