Fully Qualified AUSTRALIAN Electrician new in PA - Some Advice -

Status
Not open for further replies.

torryhead

Hi guys and girls, i have been perusing the web and mike's forum seems to get a good mention so here i am. I'm sure others have sought advive on this matter so i apologize as i havent found those threads.

Ok, i'm An Australian Qualified Electrician. An unrestricted A grade Electrical Fitter/ Mechanic. In Australia it allows me to work in any state as we share a unified Australian Standard. I am looking to gain employment here in PA, i live north of Philly in Wyncote. I was hoping some or any of you could point me in the direction of obtaining a PA Elec license. I have seen that there are variations on the license as to where you can practice so some advice on that would also help.

Just a bit about me, I have 10+ years in the Mining/Industrial sector. My specialty is in PLC, automation systems and motor control however i have experience in all domestic installations also. Thanks for your time.

Dan

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You may no be interested in relocating, but in recent years the Southern States have added a number of auto industry facilities which are normally looking for folks with your background.

knoppdude

Dan, with your background, you should have very little trouble finding work. Contact the contractors/trades board in Pennsylvania, see what requirements they have to obtain the license, and if you have to study up on US codes, Holts study guide is all encompassing. From what I have read, the mining industry in Pennsylvania is booming, so you should start contacting as many as you can in your area, they may be able to offer assistance as well, and may be able to help walk you through the process. Good luck.

torryhead

Dan, with your background, you should have very little trouble finding work. Contact the contractors/trades board in Pennsylvania, see what requirements they have to obtain the license, and if you have to study up on US codes, Holts study guide is all encompassing. From what I have read, the mining industry in Pennsylvania is booming, so you should start contacting as many as you can in your area, they may be able to offer assistance as well, and may be able to help walk you through the process. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the information, i will most definitely contact the above mentioned and see what i can find out. I appreciate your help. It seems Manufacturing uses similar systems also, i'm sure i can transfer my skills over to the production line. A quick question - can an electrician be certified to practice anyway in PA or is it county specific? Thanks again,
Dan

knoppdude

Thank you very much for the information, i will most definitely contact the above mentioned and see what i can find out. I appreciate your help. It seems Manufacturing uses similar systems also, i'm sure i can transfer my skills over to the production line. A quick question - can an electrician be certified to practice anyway in PA or is it county specific? Thanks again,
Dan[/QU

Hi Dan, from what I know, the state itself has no licensing requirement, but many cities and counties do. Contact the local building permitting and inspection department, and they will be able to answer that question for their area.

torryhead

Dan[/QU

Hi Dan, from what I know, the state itself has no licensing requirement, but many cities and counties do. Contact the local building permitting and inspection department, and they will be able to answer that question for their area.

Awesome - Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.