Distance laser measuring tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a project with 20 pole lights around the parking lot with little to measure off of. I was considering buying a laser measuring device, something that at least works up to 300 ft. Any recommendations?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Google a search and you will find several. I have the Milwaukee for upto 200' only because that is what was available when I wanted one. It works well inside although the further away your target is the more steady you must hold it. Pushing the button to catch the distance can send the laser off into the next room. Think jerking the trigger on your rifle as you fire. Bright sunlight (you can't see the laser dot) and outside reduces the reliablity of its readings.

I have an issue of Fine Homebuilding , November 2008, ( little old )where they tested several different ones and they recommend the LEICA DISTO D3 as the best overall in a field of 8. Range= up to 328 ft., Accuracy= 1/16th inch, 20 measurement memory, a built in sensor illuminates the display in low light, it has a tilt sensor that identifies the angle of measurement from 0-45 degrees, $350. The only other ones that had over 300 feet of range were the Hilti PD 40, with 656' of range for $329, and the Stabila LE-50, 328' of range, $275. Hope that helps.

I have an issue of Fine Homebuilding , November 2008, ( little old )where they tested several different ones and they recommend the LEICA DISTO D3 as the best overall in a field of 8. Range= up to 328 ft., Accuracy= 1/16th inch, 20 measurement memory, a built in sensor illuminates the display in low light, it has a tilt sensor that identifies the angle of measurement from 0-45 degrees, $350. The only other ones that had over 300 feet of range were the Hilti PD 40, with 656' of range for $329, and the Stabila LE-50, 328' of range, $275. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response. I'm amazed you have back issues of magazines and can retrieve the articles. I always keep articles for further reference and never can find them. I applaud you.

peter

Harbor Freight has a fiberglass tape which is 330' long and costs about $20.
It doesn't need batteries or even electricity. I don't know how accurate it is but should do for whatever.
I just want you to be aware of the competition.
~Peter

kwired

Electron manager
Harbor Freight has a fiberglass tape which is 330' long and costs about $20.
It doesn't need batteries or even electricity. I don't know how accurate it is but should do for whatever.
I just want you to be aware of the competition.
~Peter

If you don't need to be too accurate a 'rolatape' (measuring wheel) works also. I use one of those all the time for estimating purposes.

kwired

Electron manager
I didn't have very good luck with the measuring wheel I have. I think the wheel is to small and light. Lost traction.

For outdoors at least 3 foot circumference wheel is needed, especially if not on pavement. They do not work well in mud or tall grass/weeds.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We have a project with 20 pole lights around the parking lot with little to measure off of. I was considering buying a laser measuring device, something that at least works up to 300 ft. Any recommendations?

yeah. leica disto.... the current flavors they sell are the D5 and D8....

the problem with laser rangefinders outside is you can't see the laser
dot, so you can't make measurements. the higher end distos have
cameras and viewing screens built in, so you can see what you are
measuring. they are astoundingly accurate. certified to 1/16" at 660 feet.

i have the disto A8, which was the latest and greatest 2 1/2 years ago.
it has a black and white screen, and not as spiffy resolution... and the
prices have come down a little bit, but Leica is expensive...

the A8 is currently $569, the D8 is $799, and the D5 is $499...
the D5 will do everything the D8 will do except import data directly
into you laptop with bluetooth.

trying to measure long distances in sunlight without a camera built
in is not gonna work for you, in my experience.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I would consider just hiring a surveyor.

poo. you take all the fun out of it....

i was driving back from LA today, and was wondering why all the advertising
for that spiffy doodle 3D digitizing thing i posted the link up there was aimed
at plumbers, and then it dawned on me.... you can mark up an autocad
drawing with points, and use the 3d Disto to project it outward with 1/8"
accuracy.... duh. laying out a slab... being able to load up the floorplan,
index it in, and lay out everything in a slab with eighth inch accuracy, as
fast as you could drive stakes in the ground?

on a large deck job, where there were tons of sleeves, red dots, and
stubs.... what would instant, accurate layout be worth...?

Status
Not open for further replies.