Rigging/ Using a crane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What exactly is the difference. I always thought when I heard someone say "I need this equipment rigged" that was using a crane.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Rigging is a means to move large pieces of equipment. It can involve a crane but not necessarily. The use of slings, hoists, dollies, skates, hydraulic jacks, etc can all be used to maneuver large pieces of equipment.

Just a heads up. A digger derrick operator needs to have a crane license, which is a DOL requirement and riggers with over head loads need to be qualified per OSHA requirements.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We rig stuff all of the time almost always without a crane. We lift stuff up, drop stuff down and move stuff into place. Recently we had to remove a 4000 pound, 500 kva transformer core that was shorted. The entire transformer was too big to remove so we just pulled the core out and sent it back to the manufacturer. One of the biggest tools in rigging stuff is dunnage or simple blocks or scraps of wood.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
What exactly is the difference. I always thought when I heard someone say "I need this equipment rigged" that was using a crane.

crane's aren't the only way to move something....

this was to do a 300 ton pick of a steam generator.... each of the four
jacks on the beams are 100 tons each... the load is in the second photo..
third photo is the fasteners holding the pressure vessel together. for scale,
the nuts welded over the surface to attach insulation are 1/2" nuts.

PC222095.jpg

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
When I was a welder for a bit between years of college, I rigged parts of ships after welding them together.

It was loads of fun, except for once when I got in a wreck driving a gantry crane. It seems there was another one behind me and I was paying too much attention to what I'd lifted to notice it :ashamed1:

I changed yards after getting tired of welding in the rain and the yard I went to had a single overhead gantry, so fewer chances for getting into wrecks.

The other way we moved things -- 50 ton deck houses for oil field crew boats, for example -- was on giant skateboard-like gadgets. We'd lay down a track of channel, pick the deck house up a few inches, move it over, then drag it out of the fab shop so someone with a bigger crane could put it on top of whatever it went on top of.

wptski

crane's aren't the only way to move something....

this was to do a 300 ton pick of a steam generator.... each of the four
jacks on the beams are 100 tons each... the load is in the second photo..
third photo is the fasteners holding the pressure vessel together. for scale,
the nuts welded over the surface to attach insulation are 1/2" nuts.
Some nuts that hold the crowns on large presses are on hollow rods that have a built in induction heaters. You heat the rod, tighten the nuts and it cools super tight. Smaller presses, we just used torches to heat the exposed solid rods before tightening them. Impact wrenches were so big that they were lifted by a crane!

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
For really big lifts...they have a machine called a "Shirley". They meet with you before you build, and tell you where to have the lift points built in. Awesome machine is like a bunch of square trailers inter-tied, on wheels, and all the wheels tun together. Full speed I think is 1/3 of a mile an hour.... It lifts hundreds of tons, and loads, onto, and off from, barges for transporting what we refer to as a "sealift".

th_9736jnsb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.