Disconnect Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodineb50

I recently ran a 20 amp multiwire branch circuit out to a detached garage and used a nonfused 30 amp rated disconnect.
The inspector failed the installation citing 225.36 and said that it needed to be service entrance rated, my thoughts are if the exception to that article allowed me to use a 2 pole switch as a disconnect to disconnect the mwbc then surely a disconnect with heavy copper blades would be ok.
I ended up taking out the disconnect and installing a switch to pass inspection but was thinking that it didnt make sense, has anyone else come across this kind of thing?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Although I agree with your logic a cheap snap switch is all that complies with the exception.

225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment.
The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment.
Exception: For garages and outbuildings on residential property, a snap switch or a set of 3-way or 4-way snap switches shall be permitted as the disconnecting means.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Here is the rule:
225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment. The disconnecting
means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as
service equipment.
Exception: For garages and outbuildings on residential
property, a snap switch or a set of 3-way or 4-way snap
switches shall be permitted as the disconnecting means.
Suitable for use a service equipment means there is a neutral bus with a removable main bonding jumper. Your unfused switch may of been suitable for use - it would be right on the label if it was. If it was fused, it would of been listed as suitable...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with the others however I think that is BS for an inspector to turn that down. An a/c disconnect, although not service rated is no worse than a snap switch. In fact I think the disco is better than the snap switch--- I think common sense needs to be used here.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with the others however I think that is BS for an inspector to turn that down. An a/c disconnect, although not service rated is no worse than a snap switch. In fact I think the disco is better than the snap switch--- I think common sense needs to be used here.

Well common sense says one thing but the NEC words as written don't support yours, mine or bodine's opinion.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well common sense says one thing but the NEC words as written don't support yours, mine or bodine's opinion.

Yep so here is my proposal

225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment. The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment.
Exception: For garages and outbuildings on residential property, a snap switch, or a set of 3-way or 4-way snap switches, or other approved non service rated disconnect shall be permitted as the disconnecting means.

Here is my substantiation

As this section is written I can run a multiwire branch circuit to a dwelling garage and use a DP snap switch as a disconnect but I can be rejected for using a non-fused disconnect such as an a/c pullout style disconnect. These a/c disconnects are not usually service rated. Why would a disconnect need to be service rated if one can use a snap switch? This proposal will help clarify what I believe to be the intent of this section. I realize this may seem petty but I know of a few people who have been rejected for this install.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think the suitable for use as service entrance requirement needs to be removed. A device rated for use as service entrance equipment either has a factory installed main bonding jumper or a field installable main bonding jumper. Since feeders to remote building are required to include an EGC now there is never a reason to bond the neutral in the service disconnect.

I believe the "service rating" is required for when there is a presence of an operating load through the equipment during the "off/on" operation of the disconnect.
I would approve a 30 amp non-service rated switch, for a residential property.

bodineb50

Thanks alot for the replys, usually when we get "dinged" for something petty I just
make the correction and move on.
This time I felt the inspector should have exercised common sense and thought about what the intent of the code is for this situation and allowed it for it meeting the intent.

Dennis, I liked the proposal and the substantiation and it seems like it makes perfect sense.

Thanks again for the replys.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with the others however I think that is BS for an inspector to turn that down.

I think it would be BS if the inspector did not do the job he is required too.

I think common sense needs to be used here.

It was used here, the inspector new the code and commonsense says the inspector has to enforce the code.

Now if someone gets this section changed ......... :)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
another one of those issues where the code is not appilied with consistency and common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.