Millbank meter enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
As was said in the letter from the Milbank rep. you need to support the conductor while tightening (or loosening the lug). If you look at the design of the thing you have a lot of leverage on the attachment point of the lug to the fiberglass insulator when you are trying to tighten the lug. This is true for more than just meter sockets. Supporting the conductor gives you counter torque and the net torque applied to the fiberglass insulator is less.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As was said in the letter from the Milbank rep. you need to support the conductor while tightening (or loosening the lug). If you look at the design of the thing you have a lot of leverage on the attachment point of the lug to the fiberglass insulator when you are trying to tighten the lug. This is true for more than just meter sockets. Supporting the conductor gives you counter torque and the net torque applied to the fiberglass insulator is less.
What do you do to support the conductor ? Do you use vice grip pliers and then a socket wrench to tighten or loosen the lug ? Before you answer, if you're gonna tell me that it takes two poeple to install a meter socket or that I have to go out and buy a $75.00-$150.00 torque wrench just to install one I'm selling my tools on E-Bay and going to work for Big Orange.;)

kwired

Electron manager
What do you do to support the conductor ? Do you use vice grip pliers and then a socket wrench to tighten or loosen the lug ? Before you answer, if you're gonna tell me that it takes two poeple to install a meter socket or that I have to go out and buy a $75.00-$150.00 torque wrench just to install one I'm selling my tools on E-Bay and going to work for Big Orange.;)

Hold the conductor in one hand and your wrench in the other is usually sufficient.

Give the conductor some pull in the opposite direction that the wrench is turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.