Why are they looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I was asked to give a price on project for a new customer. Pretty big company for this area. There are probably in excess of 100 ECs within a 50 mile radius of where they are located. The type of work will eliminate maybe half of those, but of those left, half are Statewide and a few National. With so many capable, besides me, in the area why would they still be asking an EC 150 miles away? Less than $20K project.

satcom

Some of these guys will go to the end of the earth in hopes to find someone that will do the job and pay them!

bphgravity

I frequently see advertisements and/or vehicles of contractors from out-of-state or from out of the area. As with many things, the bottom line usually dicates who gets the job

Be aware that many jurisdictions here in Florida have local ordinances requiring preference to be given to local contractors for work and jobs on public structures and projects...

growler

I was recommended by another smaller EC.

A recommendation can mean a lot if it's presented in the right way.

There is a company that I sometimes recommend for certain types of work and I know they have a good 40 year track record. Finding a company you can trust with a good record isn't as easy as everyone thinks.

Or as satcom says they could be looking for cheap. :happyyes:

renosteinke

"Cheap" might be the reason. There are also others ....

With many "corporate" organizations, the person calling you might be sitting in an office a thousand miles away from the actual jobsite, and have no idea where you are located.

Or, they're assembling "three quotes," and no one else has bothered to respond. Contractors weary of quoting jobs they'll never get.

Maybe someone just can't read a map. During the 90's, Reno radio stations (and police) were always being 'alerted' whenever the President would be visiting Las Vegas. It seems that no one in that particular administration ever figured out that the two cities are at opposite ends of one of the largest states.

Finally, it's possible the customer is a nightmare CUSStomer, and all the local shops won't touch them.

I'd suggest that you bid the job, just for fun. Take your usual rate and at least triple it. See what happens.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Who knows. Others have suggested all kinds of possible reasons. If you are interested in the work I would just go ahead and bid on it.

We once got a series of projects thru a wierd chain of circumstances that appeared to me to be started by a fellow in Italy misinterpreting our listing in some kind of industrial business book.

He was looking for someone that sold industrial enclosures. We were listed under industrial control panels.

Take the business where it comes from.

wawireguy

Maybe ask them why they are coming to you. If it's your reputation then you might have a good shot at it. If the answer is, just shopping for best price I'd pass on that one.

Strife

Maybe they burned all the bridges with the EC's in the 50 miles area and none of those EC in the 50miles area wanna work for them.
First thing that came to mind.

I was asked to give a price on project for a new customer. Pretty big company for this area. There are probably in excess of 100 ECs within a 50 mile radius of where they are located. The type of work will eliminate maybe half of those, but of those left, half are Statewide and a few National. With so many capable, besides me, in the area why would they still be asking an EC 150 miles away? Less than $20K project.

cadpoint

Go in under the "business" angle, It's business, where going in to do some business, "I'm here to get some of your business, and I want to help your business out!"

MY OP...
A personal reference can frankly go miles, I know of many business alliances locally.

OK, It's business Don't get burnt, Gezz like you need that reminder!

dmagyar

I'd go with this explanation as the reason

I'd go with this explanation as the reason

Maybe they burned all the bridges with the EC's in the 50 miles area and none of those EC in the 50miles area wanna work for them.
First thing that came to mind.

My experience is that most GC'S only use you if you've got the low bid. Just like your suspicions suggest there is some reason you got the nod.
Sorry to sound cynical but I'm pretty sure they're just trolling for someone fresh and naive to their particular abuse. The reason that they?re doing work out of state also means you would just be another small fish that they?re already fried many times, they know that recipe very well by now. Give them a price and watch you 6.

satcom

My experience is that most GC'S only use you if you've got the low bid. Just like your suspicions suggest there is some reason you got the nod.
Sorry to sound cynical but I'm pretty sure they're just trolling for someone fresh and naive to their particular abuse. The reason that they?re doing work out of state also means you would just be another small fish that they?re already fried many times, they know that recipe very well by now. Give them a price and watch you 6.

Another issue, working for an out of state contractor can be full of surprises, you may find he is not licensed in your state or for that matter no license in any state, he may be aware how hard it is to come after him for non payment in another state, you can run a duns report and see if he is a good catch or a bad fish, credit check and company history is a cheap investment to secure a good new account

Status
Not open for further replies.