spa gounding on a concrete pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

If a concrete pad is poured to set a packaged spa on does the slab need any grounding? Cant really tell from the book if it is only required for pools or if also for spas.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
In 2011 there is a TIA (read it here) stating that perimeter bonding is not required around a hot tub or spa.

680.42(B) Bonding. Bonding by metal-to-metal mounting on a common frame or base shall be permitted.
Exception No. 1: The metal bands or hoops used to secure wooden staves shall not be required to be bonded as required in 680.26.
Exception No. 2: A listed self-contained spa or hot tub that meets all of the following conditions shall not be required to have equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces installed as required in 680.26(B)(2):
(1) Is installed in accordance with manufacturer?s instructions on or above grade.
(2) The vertical measurement from all permanent perimeter surfaces within 30 horizontal inches (76 cm) of the spa to the top rim of the spa is greater than 28 inches (71 cm).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have asked our AHJ about this but he has not answered. Perhaps he is on vacation. I am assuming that NC has accepted the TIA.

stew

I am in the state of Washington And we seemed to have adopted that as well.Didint think there was a NEC code requirement but thought I would put it out there anyway.

M. D.

I would think for states that choose to amend the NEC they would have to amend the TIA if they did not want to accept it ....?

Status
Not open for further replies.