Paint mixing room, hazardous location ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowelelectrical

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Does a paint mixing room considered to be a hazardous location? If so, what class and division? will it fall under class 1 division 1?

The room will be having an exhaust, will this need to be explosion proof?

Anyone?

renosteinke

I remember the line from my apprentice texts well: "It is NEVER the responsibility of the electrician to determine the classification of areas."

That said, there are many details that can change things in your specific situation.

First is: what's in the paint? There's a world of difference between household latex and airplane dope.

How the paint is handled is a factor. Completely seald equipment that pumps paint into containers is one thing; open vats are another.

Finally, room ventilation is a factor. If the room is continually flushed with enough fresh air, a hazardous collection of fumes can be prevented from forming.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Like Reno said, a lot depends on the type of paint, and other factors. I'm assuming this for for a paint line, and its some type of automated process - not just someone mixing a pint of yellow with a pint of red to get some ugly shade of orange.

If so, I would guess there is a high chance it is classified, and an explosionproof fan would be probably be needed.

Most of the paint mixing rooms I've seen have been specially designed rooms that the paint booth people design.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Depending on the materials involved, you may want to review NFPA 33 and/or NFPA 34. They are both reference documents for Article 516. Both have Sections on storage and handling and suggestions on classification that are beyond the immediate scope of the Article.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Recently worked with a paint mix "kitchen" at an auto assembly..
the solvent based paint was Class 1 Div 1 , the water base Class 1 Div II, but engineers made that call.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I remember the line from my apprentice texts well: "It is NEVER the responsibility of the electrician to determine the classification of areas."

I agree also. Have a wood/fiberglass shop going in right now, that was one of the plan check corrections.

Most paints now are water based so, really not so much of a deal anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.