Easy Heat roof cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
210.8(A)(3) Exception allows non-readily accessible receptacles outdoors that are supplied by a branch circuit dedicated to heat tape to not have GFCI protection provided that the equipment is installed in accordance with 426.28 which requires heat tape to be protected by ground fault protection of equipment.

Chris

M. D.

Thanks Chris , I just read that on line, don't have the good book handy, but it is not required correct ? I find it undesireable to use GFPE for residential, so I'll be sticking with GFCI . Thanks again ..,,Just one more question , as I know you are an inspector ,.opening a window and reaching out,.. readily accessible?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wonder if the 30 ma trip on GFPE vs. the 5 ma trip on GFCI will make a difference with this product.

210.8(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (5) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:
(1) Bathrooms
(2) Kitchens
(3) Rooftops
(4) Outdoors

Exception No. 1 to (3) and (4): Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied from a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.

raider1

Staff member
Thanks Chris , I just read that on line, don't have the good book handy, but it is not required correct ? I find it undesireable to use GFPE for residential, so I'll be sticking with GFCI . Thanks again ..,,Just one more question , as I know you are an inspector ,.opening a window and reaching out,.. readily accessible?

IMHO if you have to open a window and reach out to the receptacle probably not readily accessible.

Chris

M. D.

I wonder if the 30 ma trip on GFPE vs. the 5 ma trip on GFCI will make a difference with this product.
They seem to recognize that many will be protected by GFCI ,from the instructions
One type of ground-fault protection is a ground-fault circuit-interrupter
(GFCI). Some, but not all, outdoor receptacles are equipped with a GFCI......

Status
Not open for further replies.