test cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

Does anyone have any information on test carts for DS [westinghouse]breakers and how they are used. We have one but is never used by our switchgear contractor when a breaker is removed for maintenance or testing or repair. It must have been intented to be used when the person bought it years ago. Seems like it was ment to keep the breakers on site instead of being removed.
Thanks in advance for any help .

jimbo123

FOR ABOVE POST

The breakers are made by cutler hammar and are ds and dsl breakers. Not sure if the test cart is for ds or dsl breaker.

brian john

I have never seen a test cart for DS CBs. I assume it is a plug in accessories for connecting to a high current test set. Our test set (and all made that I know of), have adjustable stabs, utilizing a cart would add impednace, lowering current from the test set.

jimbo123

No i do not have a picture of test cart. It appears to be a copy of the switchgear draw it would fit into. Pistal grip trip - close switch on cart. Would like to know carts use, could be very usefull where a testing - repair contractor could do everything on site.
With limited experience with this we would have to follow contractors direction without any input from us.

Last edited:

brian john

I have used an Amtector Test Kit about 20+ years ago. Do you have a picture ?

THe Amptector test kit is or secondary injection testing, he is discussing (I think) a single CB cubicle. You connect this to a high current test set then can rack CBs in for primary injection testing.

Primary Test Set

http://www.phenixtech.com/BP43a.asp

Unfortunatly on Thursday I had to drive to Phenix (Accident MD.), my test set went hair wire. Long drive into the mountains, towing 1,300 LBs.

zog

No i do not have a picture of test cart. It appears to be a copy of the switchgear draw it would fit into. Pistal grip trip - close switch on cart. Would like to know carts use, could be very usefull where a testing - repair contractor could do everything on site.
With limited experience with this we would have to follow contractors direction without any input from us.

It is only for testing electrical functions and cell interlocks, not much use for the money. All testing can be done on site if you have the right equipment but breaker repairs are better to be done a a breaker shop, there are a lot of specialty tools needed and equipment most facilities dont have available.

Status
Not open for further replies.