slater, suretest, extech, megger Tool and Appliance Tester 235303, hubbell GFT2G,

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
slater, suretest, extech, megger Tool and Appliance Tester 235303, hubbell GFT2G,
tasco Inspector II, GREENLEE Model 5708, hubbell

Troubleshooting gfci cb problems on pool deck.
CBs opening: is it only faulty devices or water in the old rigid pipes?
Maybe the old cbs springs are not calibrated anymore:dunce:. Nuisance.
Some points of use have both gfi outlets on the deck and cbs in the pump house.
The deck recpts seem to be there to try and intercept any fault before the cb will open since the outlets are accessible to the user while the cbs are locked out in pump house. And the cbs are required.

Looking updated consensus:thumbsup: on the best instrument to help with the troubleshooting other than a test lead and a T+PRO. and less than $4,000!

Thanks

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
unopinionated?

unopinionated?

unopinionated electricians? :huh: who woulda thunk it?

so i am leaning toward the hubbel
simply because i can dial in the leakage and see which trips first, the gfi recpt or the cb.

its funny, there are a half dozen doubly protected outlets on the deck and only two of them trip the cb before the recpt.
I want the recpt to trip before the cb.
The outlets way down the line have only 110v by the time they reach there.

76nemo

With most "testers", you're testing the device itself in question. You're not pinpointing where the problem may be in the wiring. The only way you'll do that is meggering by conquer and divide.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
hubbel

hubbel

just going to get the hubbel. it is a dial down leakage tester and will give me a benchmark to see what the gfi breakers and devices trip at.

the only other part of the question was if anyone was a big fan of suretest or any of the other testers.

thanks guys!

76nemo

Still......

Still......

just going to get the hubbel. it is a dial down leakage tester and will give me a benchmark to see what the gfi breakers and devices trip at.

the only other part of the question was if anyone was a big fan of suretest or any of the other testers.

thanks guys!

Please excuse me, wrong discussion........

Last edited:

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
the only "problem" is that the hubbell is $300 for what looks like a gfi plug in tester with a dial. that's kind of embarrasing. should be a way to fabricate that for about $15 if i had the time...
with a variac shunt between the ground and the neutral
with two terminals to probe amp leakage acrost them.

looks like the gfis trip different leakage currents depending on the voltage at the fault too. if it is remote and voltage dropped. those are the problematic ones as i remember, a good 200 feet from the pump house 110v without load. the cb trips before the recpt.

i want the recpt to trip before the cb.

$285.00
GFCI-Tester-3D360_AS01.JPG

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
the only "problem" is that the hubbell is $300 for what looks like a gfi plug in tester with a dial. that's kind of embarrasing. should be a way to fabricate that for about $15 if i had the time...
with a variac shunt between the ground and the neutral
with two terminals to probe amp leakage acrost them.

looks like the gfis trip different leakage currents depending on the voltage at the fault too. if it is remote and voltage dropped. those are the problematic ones as i remember, a good 200 feet from the pump house 110v without load. the cb trips before the recpt.

i want the recpt to trip before the cb.

$285.00
GFCI-Tester-3D360_AS01.JPG

Actually you can get these for around $150.00.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.