Boxes for Flexible Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete m.

If the box is to be suspended from the flexible cord it has to have a threaded hub.

314.23(H)
(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.

Pete

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion the listing and labeling of a typical weatherpoof box prohibits it being used as a pendant box.

I think you need a 'pendent box' or other box designed to be supported by the hubs.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In my opinion the listing and labeling of a typical weatherpoof box prohibits it being used as a pendant box.

I think you need a 'pendent box' or other box designed to be supported by the hubs.

Where does it say in the listing or labeling that it cannot be used in such a way?

iwire

Staff member
Where does it say in the listing or labeling that it cannot be used in such a way?

It instructs us to mount the box using the included mounting tabs.

Of course the AHJ can approve it ........ or it could be an OSHA inspector and the fines would greatly outweigh the cost of a pendent box.

Just a roll of the dice and I am not a gambler. ;)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It instructs us to mount the box using the included mounting tabs.

Does it actually say that is the only means of mounting, or does it just refer to them as mounting tabs? I looked for instructions sheets for these kind of boxes and never found any. But I did not look real hard.

iwire

Staff member
Does it actually say that is the only means of mounting, or does it just refer to them as mounting tabs? I looked for instructions sheets for these kind of boxes and never found any. But I did not look real hard.

Again, do what you like.:)

Me I try to avoid installing equipment that could lead to OSHA fines for my customers.

I know that OSHA has fined for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.