Stranded in Wago connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drive1968

I've tried using stranded a couple times, but have given up on the idea. I only use solid wires with wago now.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I (in my previous job) used connectors that were similar to Wagos, French made, and I usually tinned (soldered) the end of the conductors before inserting them. If I didn't have time to tin them I would strip off enough insulation to have double the length of exposed wire and fold the wire back and twist it. If you didn't do either the stranded wire was easily pulled out.

kwired

Electron manager
I (in my previous job) used connectors that were similar to Wagos, French made, and I usually tinned (soldered) the end of the conductors before inserting them. If I didn't have time to tin them I would strip off enough insulation to have double the length of exposed wire and fold the wire back and twist it. If you didn't do either the stranded wire was easily pulled out.

Where is the time savings with that? Isn't that the reason to use push in connectors? Sounds like twist on connectors are the way to go if that is what you need to do.

Howard Burger

on commercial lights, no problem

on commercial lights, no problem

I don't recall having trouble pushing 12awg stranded into the push-in connectors on commercial lighting - don't know what the brand of connectors they were.

FWIW, I recently tried some IDEAL butt-splice push-ins with 12awg stranded and had only fair success - some of them let the wire go in easily, some of them bent a strand back and the connection was less than desired.

Can't speak for wire sizes other than 12 awg.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The problem is when you need to add another circuit your out of luck.

Adding another circuit is no problem, just use another Wago. :p

What gets me is when you get back to trim, and the wheels fall off in a dozen different ways. You can't use them on lights. You can't use them on smokes. Your timer or dimmer comes with tails already attached? Whoops....

Not to mention when people find new and creative applications for them, and cause even more headaches in the field. Not to mention having to stock and carry around another connector in addition to wirenuts, find an unused compartment in your tool bags for those...

I hate the stupid things with a passion, and get irritated when I am forced to use them - crummy connection aside, of course. :rant:

Last edited:

renosteinke

Wago-type connectors have their fans, and there are those who dislike them as a matter of religious doctrine. No point rehashing that discussion.

I've used the Ideal version, and have had mixed results in the field with stranded wire. I've also used the factory-supplied versions that come with some fixtures.

Fact is, stranded wire is actually pretty stiff. Even the usual strands are pretty stout- when all you're looking at is a 3/4" section.

While getting stranded wire into a Wago can be fussy, keep in mind that sometimes stranded wire can give you fits with wire nuts too - the nuts fall free no matter how you tighten them, or a wire pulls out, or a wild strand pokes free to 'tickle' you when you restore power. Unless you're putting the stranded wire into a Euro-style 'choc block,' there's plenty of room for Murphy's Law to act.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Where is the time savings with that? Isn't that the reason to use push in connectors? Sounds like twist on connectors are the way to go if that is what you need to do.

It wasn't a time saving thing. These were already on the machines that I was working on. It was the mfg's way of terminating wires from sensors, motors, etc. I couldn't have wire nuts hanging all over the equipment.

Adding another circuit is no problem, just use another Wago. :p

What gets me is when you get back to trim, and the wheels fall off in a dozen different ways. You can't use them on lights. You can't use them on smokes. Your timer or dimmer comes with tails already attached? Whoops....

Not to mention when people find new and creative applications for them, and cause even more headaches in the field. Not to mention having to stock and carry around another connector in addition to wirenuts, find an unused compartment in your tool bags for those...

I hate the stupid things with a passion, and get irritated when I am forced to use them - crummy connection aside, of course. :rant:

Dang George, just don't use 'em! Cut 'em off, throw 'em away.

Me & my guys love them. Still no failures from thousands installed.

But you do have to be smarter then the device you're installing:D

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(sterotype for my age) :D
I hate them.... don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up :D
(never been a good connection since we quit soldering)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Stranded in WAGO Connector

Stranded in WAGO Connector

The title of this thread sounds like someone in a remote area waiting for connecting flights or trains to someplace named WAGO.:lol:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The title of this thread sounds like someone in a remote area waiting for connecting flights or trains to someplace named WAGO.:lol:

I just thought the same thing!

I have used the Ideal connectors with stranded wire. It takes some practice, but once you get the feel for it, it's no problem. The nice thing is that the connectors are clear so you can see if the wire is seated correctly or not.

I have only used them on an experimental level. I have had too many bad experiences with scotch lok type connectors to just blindly trust the new connectors.

I do like the fact that they come in various configurations and that they have ports in them for testing. They also take up less room than a wire nut. They are GREAT for scabbing onto a short conductor in the back of an outlet box.

Only time will tell.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Physics.

d1a51fd2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.