STARTER & DISCONNECT..SEE PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If that symbol on the symbol list says "Across the line starter. See schedules for information". And the panel schedules have a column that says " Local disconnect switch at load(amps)". Would you say:

1. That the schedules are referencing the starter...so it is a combo starter/disconnect?

2. That is a starter with a separate disconnect at the motor

I would say for sure( I think..lol) that's it's #1. If there ws a disco at the motor they would have a symbol for it as they usually do. THe thing that threw me off is that they don't say combo disco/starter on the notes. Just starter. Is a starter ALWAYS a combo disco/starter? THanks

Attachments

• SCAN5398_000.pdf
    2.5 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The disconnect should be within sight of the motor, the starter can be anywhere. If you can put them both at the motor location then you can use a combination unit.

kwired

Electron manager
The general rule is that the motor requires a disconnect within sight, the controller requires a disconnect within sight.

If motor and controller are at same location one disconnect can serve both requirements.

Combination starter is nothing more than a controller and disconnect in same enclosure.

kwired

Electron manager
could be a combo could be separate starter and disconnect either will work. Where is branch circuit switch or breaker in relation to all this? If it is also within sight than it can be the required disconnect.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
could be a combo could be separate starter and disconnect either will work. Where is branch circuit switch or breaker in relation to all this? If it is also within sight than it can be the required disconnect.

No its being feed from about 150' away. Thanks.

Actually the spec says:

Individual starters shall be fully enclosed in neatly finished ventilated boxes of code gauge steel,
machine formed and welded. These boxes shall be arranged for floor, wall or angle iron frame
mounting as shown on plans or as directed, and shall each have a door with a spring catch
handle. These controllers shall be of the combination starter and lockout fusible switch type
with integral phase monitors.

Guess that answers it.

kwired

Electron manager
Sounds like the best way to do this one is to run an appropriate sized feeder for all the motors and tap each combination starter from the feeder, or a small MCC which is essentially the same thing in one enclosure. Must not be very many motors otherwise the MCC may have been specified.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Sounds like the best way to do this one is to run an appropriate sized feeder for all the motors and tap each combination starter from the feeder, or a small MCC which is essentially the same thing in one enclosure. Must not be very many motors otherwise the MCC may have been specified.

No I have (2) of those motors. I got that from the mechanical spec....should have loooked before I posted question. Sorry.

kwired

Electron manager
No I have (2) of those motors. I got that from the mechanical spec....should have loooked before I posted question. Sorry.

I still like idea of feeder large enough for both and tap to each, unless for some good reason designer does not want a common feed to these.

Status
Not open for further replies.