14awg on 20 breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgt

doing some work on a house and the contractor before me. origanally wiring is 12awg and 20amp breakers. he added 14awg on a lighting circuit (with cieling fans) for additional fans /lights. i know its not legal and he said put a 15 amp breaker instead of the 20. something does not seem right and i refuse to work on his 14awg wire

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If there is a 15 amp breaker on the circuit it would be perfectly legal. I would tag the circuit in the panel to make it obvious that it should be kept on a 15 amp circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Although the new 15 amp OCPD will make this code compliant I'm not a big fan of reducing the circuit's capacity by 25% and then adding more load. As Dennis said it can be tagged for the next guy but it's not required.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's entirely possible that he did install a 15A breaker but the homeowner continually overloaded the circuit and tripped it, so the homeowner went back and installed a 20A breaker. Happens all the time unfortunately. I even heard a Home Despot employee suggest that solution to someone once (I dressed him down on the spot and told the store manager by the way).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's entirely possible that he did install a 15A breaker but the homeowner continually overloaded the circuit and tripped it, so the homeowner went back and installed a 20A breaker. Happens all the time unfortunately. I even heard a Home Despot employee suggest that solution to someone once (I dressed him down on the spot and told the store manager by the way).

Fortunately in this instance the added load was only some lights and fans. It's unlikely that the #14 conductors will ever be overloaded. Still doesn't make it right to install a 20 amp CB when part of the circuit is #14 AWG.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician

Good for you!
I am so amazed they escape any liability for giving out dangerous advice.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
#14 wire on a 20A circuit would be legal if it was tapping to individual luminaires or individual fans, if installed in accordance with 210.19(A)(4) exceptions.

Buck Parrish

Some older electricians would wire a room as follows. All the outlets on # 12 and change to #14 to the switch and light. 20 amp fuse. And consider it an acceptable practice.
I like Dennis suggestion, tag it.

But it's always a red flag if you see it on a service call, etc...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.