Check writing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddrock

Has anyone had any customers all of a sudden forget how to write a check? We've had 2 in 2 days. One dropped a check by the office and forgot to fill in the amount and the other wrote 234.00 in the box and wrote two hundred and 34/100 in the line and my tech didnt catch it. Its beginning to be a hassle hunting them down. These are good customers I guess there check writing ability is failing.:slaphead:

John120/240

If the longhand amount & the number amount differ, you get what the

longhand amount is. So either eat the $34 or don't cash the check until you

get one for the full amount.

kiddrock

I understand that, I guess what i'm saying is that this seems to be more of a problem than it used to be esp. in the resi service world .

kwired

Electron manager
People do not pay attention to detail on anything printed/published nowadays.

Just read through this forum and look at all the misspellings and typo's. True it is not a big deal sometimes but people are too used to it not being a big deal and they do it with everything, and most are too lazy to care about it.

You can't even read newspapers or magazines anymore without finding something wrong with what is printed, typos, misspellings, improper use of words. My high school English teachers would not believe how many of these kind of mistakes on students assignments are allowed today.

GUNNING

People stop by to drop off checks???

I get them calling complaining I charged them for only materials and they are not going to pay it.

I get them demanding that I finish sombody elses work right away so they can get paid. They pay me for the work to be done??? OH no way!

I get giddy when I get a check in the mail. I want to frame it and put it up on the wall.:happyyes:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
People stop by to drop off checks???

I get them calling complaining I charged them for only materials and they are not going to pay it.

I get them demanding that I finish sombody elses work right away so they can get paid. They pay me for the work to be done??? OH no way!

I get giddy when I get a check in the mail. I want to frame it and put it up on the wall.:happyyes:

Maybe because check writing is becoming obsolete. Since on-line bill pay and what not I seem to write about 3-4 checks a year....

Sometimes it's tough to remember how :D

kiddrock

Maybe because check writing is becoming obsolete. Since on-line bill pay and what not I seem to write about 3-4 checks a year....

Seriously considering taking credit/debit cards with the smart phone attachment. We don't have smart phones yet though. Does anyone use this set up?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

I agree, I can't remember the last time I wrote a check.
Had to ask my 23 year old son if he knew how to fill out the check he wrote to pay for his tires yesterday, all he has ever used is a debit card.

dhalleron

I write about 2 checks a year now. A couple weeks ago I wrote a down payment check to a kitchen cabinet installer. I wrote something like $1130.00 in the number box and wrote One Thousand Thirty and 00/100 on the other line. The bank paid him the amount that was spelled out. I made up the difference on the final check and both of us looked at the check real close for accuracy before he left.

stevenje

I agree, I can't remember the last time I wrote a check.
Had to ask my 23 year old son if he knew how to fill out the check he wrote to pay for his tires yesterday, all he has ever used is a debit card.

I must be some sort of dinosaur.(Cashasauras) I pay cash whenever possible. Call me paranoid, but the idea of the flip of a switch controlled by someone I will never meet, cutting me off from my funds, makes me a bit uneasy. It ain't all under the mattress, but it's sure not all in the bank!

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I must be some sort of dinosaur.(Cashasauras) I pay cash whenever possible. Call me paranoid, but the idea of the flip of a switch controlled by someone I will never meet, cutting me off from my funds, makes me a bit uneasy. It ain't all under the mattress, but it's sure not all in the bank!

It's about the risks as much as convenience. If someone managed to mug me without getting shot, It would be a real pain calling places to get new plastic and cancel the old..... But all the thug would get is the $11 in my pocket and my leatherman :)

handy10

Unsigned check

Unsigned check

I had a check given to me that the lady forgot to sign. The bank took it even though I called the error to their attention. On the other hand the bank refused a check that was mistakenly post dated by a month. I took it home and changed the date by crossing out the error--problem solved as far as the bank was concerned.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Your complaint is a valid one. Last month a good customer of mine wrote me a check and dated it July 22, 2012. I chalked it up to him being in a hurry. I called him and he told me to change the date and put his initials on there and then cash it. Which I did.

The problem is, I try to build trust with customers (which are all word of mouth referrals). One of those ways is trusting that they wrote out the check properly or gave me the right amount of cash. So when they hand it to me, I put it right into my pocket while wrapping up our conversation.

Also last month the guy meant to give me $130 and he only gave me $105. Instead of counting it, I just put it into my pocket. I'm not going to chase the guy down for $20 but next time I do work for him I am going to be very deliberate when I count it and mention that he shorted me $20 the last time. If that's the last time I work for him, so be it.

handy10

[/QUOTE]The problem is, I try to build trust with customers (which are all word of mouth referrals). One of those ways is trusting that they wrote out the check properly or gave me the right amount of cash. So when they hand it to me, I put it right into my pocket while wrapping up our conversation.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. I do not study a check when someone gives it to me. The check goes in the pocket. If there is an error, I usually call it to the customer's attention.

tkb

--Jeff Foxworthy, "You Might Be a Redneck..."

One time the bank repossesed my car because I didn't make a payment on it for a little over a year.
A man showed up at my door and said, "Mr. Foxworthy, if you don't give me $500, the Camaro is going with me."

I got mad. "Five hundred dollars? Who keeps that kind of cash around?"

"You mean you can't write me a check?"

"No, I can't...a check? Oh, I thought you wanted MONEY.
Hell, I want to pay the whole thing off right now.

I want to be a Congressman when I grow up."

Status
Not open for further replies.