Check writing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Also last month the guy meant to give me $130 and he only gave me $105. Instead of counting it, I just put it into my pocket. I'm not going to chase the guy down for $20 but next time I do work for him I am going to be very deliberate when I count it and mention that he shorted me $20 the last time. If that's the last time I work for him, so be it.

Since 130 - 105 is not 20 maybe he found errors on your invoice and corrected them himself:D

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
More than once I have been handed back more change than I expected. Looking at the ten and handed them a hundred. The clerk may not of known how to count back the cash but I did get the proper change.

The checks I sign are usually computer generated. My handwritten ones are almost impossible to read. Lucky anyone gets to cash them.

tkb

Also last month the guy meant to give me $130 and he only gave me $105. Instead of counting it, I just put it into my pocket. I'm not going to chase the guy down for $20 but next time I do work for him I am going to be very deliberate when I count it and mention that he shorted me $20 the last time. If that's the last time I work for him, so be it.

I will bet that he intentionally shorted you and was counting on the fact that you would not count it in front of him.

I doubt that he can't count money.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I will bet that he intentionally shorted you and was counting on the fact that you would not count it in front of him.

I doubt that he can't count money.

Had a customer give me $2000 cash in a baggie at the end of the cookie isle in Walmart. I didn't take the time to count it out. I am sure Walmart security was wondering what else was being passed around the way it was.

stevenje

Had a customer give me $2000 cash in a baggie at the end of the cookie isle in Walmart. I didn't take the time to count it out. I am sure Walmart security was wondering what else was being passed around the way it was.

Many years ago I installed a few new light fixtures and a ceiling fan in a mobile home for a girl who was working to putting herself through college. She was an exotic dancer at one of the local strip clubs. She paid me in one dollar bills.

tkb

Many years ago I installed a few new light fixtures and a ceiling fan in a mobile home for a girl who was working to putting herself through college. She was an exotic dancer at one of the local strip clubs. She paid me in one dollar bills.

I will bet she is still on the pole. :happysad:

kwired

Electron manager

Did she give you one dollar each time a different task was finished?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Since 130 - 105 is not 20 maybe he found errors on your invoice and corrected them himself:D

Haha...OK, he said he was handing me $130 for a $125 service call. I had a $5 to give back to him. In reality he handed me $110 and I gave him back $5 to make $105. I guess I messed up that sentence. And now that I think of it, since we were obviously handling a cash transaction with change and everything, I really should have just counted the money.

Benton

It is business not personal if they don't like me counting the money in front of them then that is there problem. If they are honest then no worries.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Your complaint is a valid one. Last month a good customer of mine wrote me a check and dated it July 22, 2012. I chalked it up to him being in a hurry. I called him and he told me to change the date and put his initials on there and then cash it. Which I did.

The problem is, I try to build trust with customers (which are all word of mouth referrals). One of those ways is trusting that they wrote out the check properly or gave me the right amount of cash. So when they hand it to me, I put it right into my pocket while wrapping up our conversation.

I don't handle cash or checks from customers anymore. But when I did, and in my personal life, I count it in front of the person handing me the cash. Every once in a while someone would half joking say "What, you don't trust me?" and I'd reply "You might have paid me too much." Never had a problem.:thumbsup:

GUNNING

ok..got a check today they forgot to write in the amount nor put a decimal place in the dollar amount but did fill in the memo amount on how much they owe.

Signed and dated. Im wondering if I deposit it with just the whole dollars think the bank would credit $15630 instead of $156.30?

These are the people that blow the dog whistle and sic the dog on me while Im waiting to return there key to the rental.:jawdrop:

Thinking about giving out dog whistles for holloween in their neighborhood.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I got a small check a few weeks ago mistakednly written to "Budget Electric," I stamped it for deposit only and deposited it in my Ready Electric account. The bank either didn't notice or didn't care.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I understand that, I guess what i'm saying is that this seems to be more of a problem than it used to be esp. in the resi service world .

Most people are more pushed than ever and get scatter brained with details. I sometimes have to start a new invoice because I make 1 too many errors to neatly scratch out. 2 customers the past 6 months pointed out errors in my math, 1 to his credit, 1 to my credit.

kwired

Electron manager
I got a small check a few weeks ago mistakednly written to "Budget Electric," I stamped it for deposit only and deposited it in my Ready Electric account. The bank either didn't notice or didn't care.

When it is not a big deal banks will let any mistake pass like wrong Payee, no signature, no endorsement. When the check is really important that it be deposited for any reason, large or small check, they will catch a mistake like that every time.

TobyD

We recieived a check with only a signature and the company's name written in.The contractor told us to fill in the amount that he was ready to pay in full.Well, OK. we did that and the check bounced.So, after taking it do the DA's office we were informed since we wrote the amount( the legimate )there a was nothing they could do about the check.So, now I always see that they write the check accordingly.Later on the guy bankrupted and we never got paid.

kwired

Electron manager
We recieived a check with only a signature and the company's name written in.The contractor told us to fill in the amount that he was ready to pay in full.Well, OK. we did that and the check bounced.So, after taking it do the DA's office we were informed since we wrote the amount( the legimate )there a was nothing they could do about the check.So, now I always see that they write the check accordingly.Later on the guy bankrupted and we never got paid.

The check would have still bounced had the contractor filled in the amount. There was nothing wrong with the check it was the fact there was not enough funds in his account that made it bounce.

Quite often I have written a customers check out myself and then they sign it.

Status
Not open for further replies.