Load Bank Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake5265

Hi all,
I am preparing to go into unfamiliar territory and was looking for input.
The company that I work for would like to save electricity in any which way they can. I was wondering about installing some Load Bank Capacitors. Do these save energy? Are they worth putting in? We have 4 2000 Amp Substations, Do they make Capacitor Banks for those? If somebody could point me in the right direction of researching this that would be great Thanks.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
They adjust the power factor.
Save in billing on demand, so you need to know what your power factor is first.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Does your company's electric bill include a penalty or other fee that is related to power factor, or to KVA loading? If not, then there is no money to be saved by correcting the power factor. So I would start by glancing at the electric bill.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Good input so far. You need to determine how much money the penalty is and whether or not the the installed capital cost, depreciation, property taxes, maintenance cost, etc make the project justifiable. Of the $300K monthly power bill how much was the power factor penalty? Most companies have a set rate of return that needs to be achieved in order to justify a savings project. The power factor you saw last month seems really good to me.

Last edited:

Drake5265

The Company want to see pay back within two years right now I'm trying to figure out the penalty the company pays for the power factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.