aircraft hangars

Status
Not open for further replies.

newinspector1

My question is concerning aircraft hangars that are not used to repair or paint the aircraft, but have fueled aircraft in them. The way I see it is anything below 18" above the floor is Class 1 Division 2. If lights are located in the hangar are they required to be explosion proof. I don't think that they are if they are more than 10 ft above the floor according to 513.7C. Next question, is sealing of the conduits required? I think that it is but I am not for sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
If a raceway is entirely outside of any classified locations what is the point of sealing? If it crosses a classified location boundary then it needs sealed near the boundary. The seal can be on either side of boundary but must be first fitting with exception of reducing fittings if necessary.

kwired

Electron manager
513.3(C)(1)
(1) Aircraft Maintenance and Storage Hangars. The area within 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from aircraft power plants or aircraft fuel tanks shall be classified as a Class I, Division 2 or Zone 2 location that shall extend upward from the floor to a level 1.5 m (5 ft) above the upper surface of wings and of engine enclosures.

The area up to 5 feet above wings and engine enclosures is a CL1D2 area. If a luminaire is in this area it must be suitable for CL1D2 location.

If the luminaire is higher than that it does not have to be CL1D2 but according to 513.7(C) anything that may produce sparks or hot metal particles (lamps are in the list of examples) it must be enclosed to prevent the escape of sparks. This is for the area up to 10 feet above wings and engine compartments, again 513.7(C)

newinspector1

kwired, thanks for the info. One last question are there any special requirements for the panel, can it be in the classified location? If so then I would think that all conduits leaving the panel must be sealed. If it would be simpler to place the panel outside of the classified location that will work also.:cool:

kwired

Electron manager
kwired, thanks for the info. One last question are there any special requirements for the panel, can it be in the classified location? If so then I would think that all conduits leaving the panel must be sealed. If it would be simpler to place the panel outside of the classified location that will work also.:cool:

Not only would raceways need sealed but the panel would need to be rated for the location also. $$$$

Do not install panel within 18 inches of the floor and you are likely fine.

newinspector1

So if the electrician were to put only one receptacle 24 inches above the floor and one light in the front corner of the hangar then that would put them in and unclassified section. This would also take away the requirements for the seal offs on the conduit since the plane cant sit outside the hangar. Does this sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.