Emergency/exit lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I've got a small commercial space(14'x27') it has a door a t each end of the long dimension. The space is open from one end to the other(no partitions). Are lighted exit signs and battery/AC power emergency lighting required for a space this size?I believe this is in the NFPA but cant seem to find any particulars on size or occupancy. Thanks.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
The requirements to have emergency lighting comes from building codes like IBC.

raider1

Staff member
I've got a small commercial space(14'x27') it has a door a t each end of the long dimension. The space is open from one end to the other(no partitions). Are lighted exit signs and battery/AC power emergency lighting required for a space this size?I believe this is in the NFPA but cant seem to find any particulars on size or occupancy. Thanks.

Is this space an individual tenant space?

Do the doors lead directly to the outdoors?

The requirements for emergency lighting and exits signs are driven by the building codes as already pointed out. Those requirements are driven by the occupant load of the space or building.

Typically a tenant space that has doors that lead directly to the outdoors with an occupant load of less than 50 will not need to have emergency lighting or exit signage.

Chris

renosteinke

BEWARE. In addition to the bugseyes/ exit signs, the Fire Code now also requires you to have emergency lighting on the 'path of egress.' That is, OUTSIDE the building, lighting up where folks will exit.

OSHA and Life Safety Codes will address this issue, not NFPA.

We have often installed one battery pack equipped fluorescent on an unswitched circuit in office and MCC buildings directly at the door and end of isleways that would illuminate an plain directional exit sign. Kind of two birds/one stone approach.:)

raider1

Staff member
BEWARE. In addition to the bugseyes/ exit signs, the Fire Code now also requires you to have emergency lighting on the 'path of egress.' That is, OUTSIDE the building, lighting up where folks will exit.

Egress illumination on the exterior of exit doors is not a new requirement and has been in the building codes for awhile.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.