Reversing Contactor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

Corrrect me if I am wrong. If I'm using a contactor to control a motor that will turn in both directions-I will need a reversing contactor-correct? And if so, does anyone know where I can purchase one?

billsnuff

you can use two contactors (three phase) l 123 on the first l 213 on the next.

run the control circuit thru the aux contacts of the forward starter for the reverse coil and vice versa. This way when running forward the aux contacts keep the reverse coil from pulling in.

Barndog

run the control circuit thru the aux contacts of the forward starter for the reverse coil and vice versa. This way when running forward the aux contacts keep the reverse coil from pulling in.

I believe you have to have a mech. interlock along with an electricial interlock. So you would be better off using a reversing contactor. Also i would believe you should be able to get them at any supply house.

Besoeker

As a rule, we use both an electrical and mechanical interlock between the two contactors.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You don't say if it's 3 phase or single phase, the way to reverse them is different. Assuming you mean a 3 phase motor, there is a difference between a contactor and a motor starter, it's called the Overload Relay. If you have a motor with built-in thermal protectors you don't need one, but that is exceedingly rare on 3 phase motors. So what you will want is a reversing STARTER, not just the contactor. Any decent electrical wholesaler should be able to supply you with one, there is not a single equipment mfr that doesn't have something to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.